Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at ribs with commentary on Costco Baby Backs

Options
Decided to tackle the rib monster this weekend and followed carwash mike's recipe.

Started with some Costco baby backs and pulled them out of the wrapper and went to remove the membrane. I thought I was having an abnormally difficult time removing it. I worked for about 20 minutes and decided to give up and cook it with it on. I was dreading serving them to friends that night, but i was out of time and they needed to go on, so membrane and all they went on.

5 hours later, they came off the egg and on to the cutting board. Cut and served with creamed corn and they were a huge hit. Come to find out apparently Costco Baby Backs come with the membrane already removed? I was relived when I bit into them and they weren't tough like I was expecting from the membrane. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyways, there weren't ANY ribs or creamed corn left. That always says success to me!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    That must be right - last time I got their ribs, no membrane.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yes.Costco loin back ribs have no membrane. They are my favorite.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Confirmed - Costco ribs do not have the membrane attached when you buy them. Open the package, apply rub, smoke, enjoy!

Nice looking rack btw ;)
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    Finally the reason I can never remove the membrane from COSTCO ribs!!!
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    +1 @morrobayrich I thought I was going crazy last time trying to do this.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Yep no membrane definitely because I (and then SWMBO) spent quite some time trying to find it last time I cooked one.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I dont feel like an idiot then. I really thought I was completely inept. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • bdsdnfam
    bdsdnfam Posts: 22
    Options

Sam's Club = Membrane......Costco = No Membrane!!

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    As long as it's same price, less work is better :) Although the first time it happened, I think I wasted a long time trying to find it  :))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited June 2014
    Options
    What most people don't realize is that there are 2 membranes on ribs. Costco removes the outer tough one on BB and what is left is the thinner one that holds the bones together. You'll spend all day trying to remove the second one, but it isn't necessay. If you get some, somewhere else that have both still on the tough one comes off easily.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • sofakingbald
    Options
    Fwiw, the St. Louis ribs as Costco have the membrane. 
    BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I couldn't get the membrane off the first time I did spares. I just cooked them with it on and couldn't tell the difference :)

Luckily the second time it was easy enough for me to learn what to do.

Will
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE