Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken skin Dry and rubbery

Options
I'm new to the forum and have a problem with beer can chicken.  I set the temperature to 275 and cooked for about 2.5 hours.  The chicken had olive oil salt and pepper inside and out.  The meat was delicious but the skin was like chewing rubber bands.  My pork ribs (St. Louis) were really tasty after 7 hrs. but again the outer part was a little dry.  I did not baste till 3 hours in and then old once every hour.  Baste with balsamic vinegar, coffee and pepper. 

What's causing this situation.  Thanks all.  I really like my BGE and look forward to being active on the forum.

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited June 2014
    Options
    These are the things I would change, in order of importance:

1)  Put the chicken in the fridge uncovered for 12-48 hours before cooking, preferably on the beer can (or holder) after you've applied your oill and rub.  This drys the skin out, and the skin may look weird when you pull it out to cook it, but it will look great once the heat hits it.

2) Raise your cooking temp to 325.

3) Dust it with corn starch.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    First, welcome to the lifestyle.
    I think you should cook the chicken faster and hotter to achieve a done chicken and crispy skin.
    I do beer can chicken at 350 for 1 1/4 hours. Or lots of folks will chime in here and recommend you spatchcock the bird and cook it flat. Either way you'll get delish chix and crispy skin.
    Good luck.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    Options
    Great help.  Thanks so much

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have better luck spatchcocking the chicken and going direct (raised if you can) at 400.

To spatchcock it, just cut out the spine and open the bird up.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    + 1 on 350*
    GWN
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    +Spatchcocked. I don't even do beer can style anymore. 375-400 dome. Check the bird at 45 minutes for doneness and monitor every 5-7 minutes until you hit that magic temperature in the breast and thighs
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I love to do both. If your beer can holder has a base, it's great for adding veggies to cook in the fat. If it doesn't you can use a cake pan or a half hotel pan. You can buy the disposable ones from Costco for next to nothing.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    First, welcome to the lifestyle.
    I think you should cook the chicken faster and hotter to achieve a done chicken and crispy skin.
    I do beer can chicken at 350 for 1 1/4 hours. Or lots of folks will chime in here and recommend you spatchcock the bird and cook it flat. Either way you'll get delish chix and crispy skin.
    Good luck.
    Agree. Chicken does not benefit from low and slow.  Increase the heat to 350-400.  your skin will crisp up nicely.  If you can air dry it for a day before, event better.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    Options
    All your suggestions and tips are great.  Thank you
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome Jim. +1 on the spatchcock method at 400 raised, direct.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2014
    Options
    BBQJIM, 

Take a look at this pick. Perfect chicken at 500 degrees in a 13" cast iron skillet for 45 minutes to an IT of 160. Unusual technique which I did for the first time last week. However, I think it illustrates well that chicken can stay moist in higher temp cooks, and is not really a candidate for low and slow. Except for this technique, which I was really pleased with, I generally cook chicken at 375 climbing to 400 during the last 15 minutes or so. By the way the skin was amazingly crispy and flavorful. Tasted even better than it looks. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Did some legs slow yesterday since I wasn't in a hurry. Juicy as heck but skin was not edible, just as OP described. I'm sure it was temp and time.
    Seattle, WA