Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Autumn Sourdough in the Baker Egg

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486

First pic; The preferment going into the final dough.  Bread flour, white whole wheat flour and a touch of spelt.  Used my starter cultivated from grape skins.

Proofed and scored.

Steaming, that's not smoke you see.

All done.  Baked three boules, two I gave away, one I kept for meslef.  Awesome crust, thanks to the egg.  Thanks for lookin!

imageimageimage

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited October 2013
    Options
    @Clay_Q Looks great! I can't tell, how do you add steam?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Beauty Clay! Good to see your skills here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!  Trying bread today in the big clock since its raining,  but i should have dough left to try a boule in the egg later. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options

DMW;  I have an aluminum pizza pan under the plate setter supported by a spider.  I use a plant watering can with a long spout to add water when the boule goes in.  The pan is so hot water jumps and dances around instantly going to steam.  I keep adding water until I have about a cup and a half that settles down and stays in the pan for around 8 minutes of steaming.

Little Steven; Thanks, I'll make a point to visit more often.

caliking; The big clock??  Whatever you got there buddy good luck and have fun with your bread even though it's raining.  The stainless Smokeware cap on my Baker Egg laughs at the rain.  I  got a snow shower when I was baking.  www.smokeware.net

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    When I bake bread on my BGE... I use a grill extender to get the pizza stone above the felt line. I take the daisy wheel off. I start my ccok at 550 degrees. I score the boule with my knife and then I spray it with water, which will create the steam I need to achive the maximum rise. Then... I place it on the pizza stone and cover it with a stainless steel mixing bowl. The water I sprayed on it, under the mixing bowl will create lots of steam, creating maximum rise. I cook it under the mixing bowl for 20 minutes, remove the mixing bowl and... Turn the temp down to 465 and cook to color. I look through the top vent, no daisy wheel, to see the color of my bread. Trust me... If you go over 205 degrees, it will NOT ruin your crust or crumb.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Gosh your bread looks fantastic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....