Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What type of eggs are these (not BGE's either :O)?

tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Snakes or some sort of amphibian?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Crack em open.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tarheelmatt
    Eekk... They are right beside my house on the north side in the mulch.  

Hate to dispose of them though.. Just don't feel right doing that.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Let's get a pic with something for size reference... Toss out some pocket change next to 'em for reference.... Also, where are you located ??

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Looks like snakes to me...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Those are definitely good and plenty eggs. Kind of taste like licorice if you're into that sort of thing, which everybody should be.
    Dunedin, FL
  • DaveRichardson
    Yep, location and appearance look like snake eggs..... There's gonna be a momma somewhere!!!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    Let's get a pic with something for size reference... Toss out some pocket change next to 'em for reference.... Also, where are you located ??
    Will do... 

Located in Central NC.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    take pics everyday to show a time lapse....will be really cool  :)
    Beaufort, SC
  • DaveRichardson

take pics everyday to show a time lapse....will be really cool  :)

Or very frightening. If snakes, I thought there's be more than a few, I thought it'd be 30-40.... I can't remember my entomology that well!!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Only the poisonous ones bread 3-6 at a time.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    C'mon...just crack one open.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    ... and pray that mama snake is not as protective as mama goose  :D
    canuckland
  • DaveRichardson
    I see the weed burner staying near my side if they are snake eggs!!!!

• Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    Im willing to bet they are snake eggs, and rest assured the mother is somewhere close by, so be careful that its not a poisonous one in central NC
    Grilling in Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Living out here in the woods I'd say a high probability those appear to be snake eggs. If Moma can be identified and classified I'd let them live if they are non venomous. If venomous they're history including Moma. Call me cruel but, I assure you where I'm at there are a lot of snakes both venomous & non.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Can you relocate them off your property? Somewhere further away preferably.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Buy a mongoose or a honey badger, and never go outside again...
  • NPHuskerFL
    caliking said:

Can you relocate them off your property? Somewhere further away preferably.

If you relocate them you might as well kill them as Mama will likely abandon them. This is why I said "try" to identify if possible. I don't mind snakes but, venomous ones on my property are going to be neutralized period. Here's a 6' Diamondback. And I assure you there are plenty more in the woods we don't see.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    they definitely look like snake eggs, I used to breed cornsnakes. "Of the four venomous snakes native to the United States, only the coral snake is an egg-layer. The other three, rattlesnake, copperhead and water moccasin, are pit vipers -- and vipers don't lay eggs".

If you decide to move them, don't disturb how the eggs are situated, they must stay in the same position.
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • NPHuskerFL
    @konablue50‌ interesting fun fact on the egg layer thing. Do venomous give live birth then? All I can tell ya is there is a boat load of snakes out here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Another fun fact @konablue50‌ courtesy of Google.

Tender Loving Whatever
    Most egg-laying snakes usually find a nice warm, damp, dark spot to "stop and drop," and then move on, leaving offspring to fend for themselves. The python, including the imported Burmese now living and breeding in Florida, actually incubates her eggs by curling around them and raising her body temperature through muscle contractions. Live-bearing snakes frequently abandon their young soon after birth, but some rattlesnakes are known to hang around for a few days to discourage predators from messing with hatchlings.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Glad this is not my yard. I do not like snakes. GOOD LUCK
  • tarheelmatt
    Update.... Eggs are still there.  Thinking of calling the local zoo in Asheboro, NC to see if anyone there could help.  Someone indicated it could be a Pine snake (and even said they are endangered?). 

I hate killing things, just for the heck of it.  However, I do have a family I need to protect too. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    You could also "rebuild" the nest in a aquarium at that location. Screen in the top and see what happens. You will have the same weather conditions and environment, put the same leaves and needles on the bottom for insulation and a branch or something for the young to hide when (if) they hatch. You might've something harmless.... And if you have kids, a cool experience. If not harmless, then your choice I guess.

I am not for killing/destroying things unless there is clear purpose and reason. Like the small wasp nest under the eve by the door on my deck. 7 years now, and never an issue. Never more than a half dozen wasps on it. They do not both me, and I do not bother them. I have to think they are here for a reason that I am not aware of, an if I "remove" them, I am disturbing something else.... This world is so much more complex than everyone thinks it is, and if you take 10 mins to think about it, it can blow your mind. I applaud your resistance to just distoroy the eggs "just because".

Interested to hear what happens. Even if a raccoon or possum end up eating them - nature took its course...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited June 2014

+ 1 for trying to find and identify the Mother snake before doing anything else - Personally I never like to see anything die for little to no reason. 

If they are non-venomous snakes (which sounds most likely from the above), let them hatch and go about their merry way.

I don't HAVE kids, so maybe this is a bit off-side (it's not meant to be though I promise); if the worst threat the snake poses to your kids is a bite and an "OW-scream-cry", I'd leave them alone.  Worst case scenario, you get to have a talk with your kids about why we leave wild animals alone.  If they are poisonous - oh hell yea I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat!

If Momma's nowhere around, might be interesting to build a mini-terrarium around the eggs, so that when they hatch, you know all about it!  heck, it's even educational for the kiddo's!  *Edit - and when done, you can call the zoo, or animal control, and they'll be able to pick up the baby snakes quickly and easily.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • tarheelmatt
    Update:  Called NC Zoo... They said by my description, it sounds like a box turtle eggs.  I sent them some pictures but they haven't got back with me yet.  When they do I will keep you posted.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • If you find they are something not poisonous and let them be, I would love to see some time lapse picture videos in the OT forum. Sounds like it could be a neat experience for the kids.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN