Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Argh. Overshot temp for my first try at Car Wash BB ribs

I wasn't familiar with the turbo method, but that's what I'm going with now out of necessity. Used two cubes to begin. I won't make that mistake again!! Lol. Will there be any huge differences in taste? If it turns out, I'm going to cook them again on the fourth for a barbecue. All my friends are anxious to try Egged food and I want to impress, know what I mean?

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Turbo ribs are good but you could choke your vents and get to the lower temp pretty quick. Might speed the overall cook time from Mikes version.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Jennifer, two cubes wasn't the problem. I light my egg in 3-4 places no matter what I'm cooking. If you overshot, you can bring the temp down, it just may take awhile. 

For future reference, the trick is not how you light it, but in paying attention as the temp is rising. Next time, open both vents all the way and light the lump.Put your "parts" in at this time (platesetter, grid, whatever) and let them come up to temp too. When it gets within 25-30° of your target temo, close the vents to approximately where they need to be for the temp you want. For 250° dome, you should be able to stick a toothpick in both the daisy and the lower vent. More or less. Let the temp stabilize there for 30 minutes or so before you put any food in. When you add food, the temp will drop. DO NOT ADJUST. If you had it stabilized, the temp will come back up without tinkering. If you mess with it, you'll be chasing temps all day long.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Carolina Q‌ Appreciate the toothpick note, curious on low temp settings and this helps a bunch!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Yeah, you'll learn where to leave the vents.

I'm re learning when I switched to the High Q grate and the Smokeware Cap.

Turbo ribs are the way to go though.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Vents are tricky, until you got it figured out. Here are mine today @250. imageimage
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, each egg seems to be a bit different. From one size to another too. And then, except for lo n slo, I don't even use a top vent so that adds yet another variable. I've gotten so I can light the egg, set the lower vent where I think 400° should be and come back in 30 minutes to a 400° egg! Or real close anyway. Doing that eliminates any possibility of getting distracted and letting the temp get away from you. It CANNOT go higher than the amount of air you let in. Much easier once you start to remember the settings.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks for the pointers! Now I'm just figuring if it's time to take them off...

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Those look close.. Do the bend test, or check with a tooth pick in the meat and see if it's tender or bends!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Future pointers from an novice... Place your fire ring so that your plate setter is at the very back of the egg.  That's your hot spot. 

Place the fattest, or thickest part of your meat or ribs at the back of the egg.  Always try to place over some part of the platesetter.  That should even the cooking a little bit more.

Other than that, your ribs look awesome.  We hope to see some plated pictures!
  • Those look fine. I don't think the temperature bump will kill the batch.

Good idea to practice before the 4th. You have 4 more days to get it right!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    This might Help  i think its also a link on the sticky on the front forum page

Vent Settings

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/696662/x/p1

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • JenniferEgger
    JenniferEgger Posts: 68
    edited June 2014
    @fusionhq‌ thanks for the tip. No plated pics as my hubby tore into them. Next time, I'll use a sweeter rub vs a spicy one. Seriously, thank you all for the help! It's reassuring to have a place to look stuff up and ask questions!!

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited June 2014

Turbo ribs are great, and they are easy.  I have never had one person say that they were less than excellent.  I highly recommend them for someone who is in the early stages of learning temp control on the egg.  Here's the drill:

• Trim ribs as necessary
    • apply light coating of rub
    • apply French's yellow mustard spread evenly with fingers to a thin coating
    • apply coating of rub and press in lightly
    • stabilize egg at 350 with smoking wood as desired, plate setter, drip pan (no liquid) raised with aluminum foil wads, and grill in place
    • Place ribs on the grill
    • set timer to 1 hour 45 minutes
    • leave it alone until timer goes off
    • Check (bend test or toothpick) they will be done
    • apply sauce if desired for 15 - 20 minutes
    • amaze your friends

While there are as many ways to cook ribs as carter has pills, this one is so easy.  If followed without alteration, the ribs turn out excellent and you look like a star.  When you are just starting why make it complicated?

I just did this cook last night, and received the "best ribs I've ever had" endorsement again.  I use all sorts of rubs, and a variety of sauces - they always come out great. And 3 hours from start to finish is so much better than 6+..

Enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • JenniferEgger
    JenniferEgger Posts: 68
    edited June 2014
    tksmoke said:

Turbo ribs are great, and they are easy.  I have never had one person say that they were less than excellent.  I highly recommend them for someone who is in the early stages of learning temp control on the egg.  Here's the drill:

• Trim ribs as necessary
    • apply light coating of rub
    • apply French's yellow mustard spread evenly with fingers to a thin coating
    • apply coating of rub and press in lightly
    • stabilize egg at 350 with smoking wood as desired, plate setter, drip pan (no liquid) raised with aluminum foil wads, and grill in place
    • Place ribs on the grill
    • set timer to 1 hour 45 minutes
    • leave it alone until timer goes off
    • Check (bend test or toothpick) they will be done
    • apply sauce if desired for 15 - 20 minutes
    • amaze your friends

While there are as many ways to cook ribs as carter has pills, this one is so easy.  If followed without alteration, the ribs turn out excellent and you look like a star.  When you are just starting why make it complicated?

I just did this cook last night, and received the "best ribs I've ever had" endorsement again.  I use all sorts of rubs, and a variety of sauces - they always come out great. And 3 hours from start to finish is so much better than 6+..

Enjoy!!

What do mean about raising up with alum foil balls??? Where do I put them, under the drip pan?? Or under the grid to raise it higher off the PS?

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @jenniferegger - the color on the ribs looks outstanding!! I have to ask, is your drip pan sitting directly on the PlateSetter? If so you should use something to create an airspace,this will keep the drippings from scorching and causing an off taste in your food. I use the little green feet that came with m eggs. Some use wadded up balls of aluminum foil, copper plumbing tees and I even read about a guy stacking up pennies

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    under the drip pan. keeps stuff from burning

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wow. You learn something every day! Yes, the drippings burned, but I thought they were supposed to. Thanks!

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Alternatively you can just cover the PS with foil. Or you can fill pan with water. If you do this, the water can run out. When it does the temp can shoot up, so u have to watch it. For turbo ribs, the water shouldn't boil off. Make sure the water is hot, almost boiling when u add it or you will lower the egg temp a ton and it will take forever to get back up to temp.

While I love turbo for pork butt, I'm a fan of traditional L&S for ribs. 6hrs for St Louis, 5 for BB. Don't even have to peek. No spritz, no mop, no nothing.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    @fusionhq‌ thanks for the tip. No plated pics as my hubby tore into them. Next time, I'll use a sweeter rub vs a spicy one. Seriously, thank you all for the help! It's reassuring to have a place to look stuff up and ask questions!!
    The Simply Marvelous cherry rub is great.  Not too spicy and great flavor.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Wow. You learn something every day! Yes, the drippings burned, but I thought they were supposed to. Thanks!

Glad your cook turned out well.  As far as getting the drip pan off the plate setter, I just wad up some aluminum foil - make 3 wads, maybe an inch thick.  Place them on your plate setter, or whatever you use as an indirect piece, and place the drip pan on the foil wads with NO liquid.  Experimentation is great, but when you are starting out, follow tried and true.  The folks who have failed with turbo ribs usually have improvised.  "Hey - I saw on BBQ wars on the electric TV where if I put gasoline in my drip pan, the ribs are excellent."  Don't do it!  350 degrees for 1:45, no liquid, no foil, no spritzing with napalm.  Keep it simple.  I foil my drip pan, making the cleanup simple.

After some successes you will have the basic techniques down.  Then you can start experimenting.  But be successful first.  It's a lot more fun that way. 

Enjoy!!!

Santa Paula, CA