Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crown roast

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to cook crown roast for xmas dinner, need tips, ccoking time,temp, seasoning etc etc. What size fits best in a large egg?
thx for any info you can provide!
Mark

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mark,
    I have cooked a crown roast at the last couple of Eggtoberfest.Here is the recipe and a picture of one I cooked at home.
    Larry[p]A Crown roast is made out of a bone in pork loin.My meat cutter takes a 8 or 9 pound loin with about 14 bones,cuts one inch slits in between each bone and then rolls it in a circle and ties it with butchers twine.I stuff it with one pound of sausage with sage,1 apple ,1 onion and 1 small package of mushrooms .Chop apple,onion and mushrooms.Brown sausage,onion,apple and mushrooms in a frying pan.Put stuffing in the center of the Crown roast after it cools. Paint the roast with yellow mustard and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
    Cooking [p] place the roast on a rack over a drip pan and cook at 350° until internal temp reaches 150°. I take it off,let it rest for 15 minutes cut up and serve.[p]

[ul][li]Crown Roast[/ul]
  • Butch M
    Options
    YB,
    Larry, do you cook the crown roast direct or indirect. With plate sitter legs up or down?
    We hope to try this for Christmas diner.
    Thank you so much.
    Butch M

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    croast.jpg
    <p />Butch M,
    Here`s a shot of the one he did at Eggtoberfest 05...I`m sure he will chime in with all the details you need.[p]Wess

• YB
    Options
    croast.jpg
    <p />Butch M,
    I cook it with a plate setter legs up with a drip pan and grate on top of the legs.I have also cooked it on a raised grid using a 10" pie pan with a grate on top of the pie pan.Here is a picture WessB took of the one at this years Eggtoberfest.I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas Butch and look forward to seeing you next year.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    WessB,
    You beat by a few minutes...Hope you and Sally are doing good.
    Larry

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    WessB,
    The roasts I cook have a larger center space than the one in your pic. We have tried most fillings. Our family favors a hot Italian sausage filler. It adds flavor to the pork.[p]To each his own.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Have never cooked a crown roast. What's your receipe for cooking and stuffing?
    Thanks-mark