Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig - What do I really need?

Options
Ok, I currently have a plate setter but I'm looking for the ability to cook more food at once (multiple racks).  My first target is 2 briskets about 12lbs each.  A single one barely fit so there is no way 2 are fitting.  

It looks like I have two options, oval vs round.  Oval sounds like the preferred choice for most but does that leave me with just 1 grid for cooking?  Should I just get the round combo then add oval grids?  

Please help! Thanks you!  

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What size Egg do you have? I have been looking at the AR since I got my egg, but decided to get a simple raised grid for XL. It works for me. If you need it quick you can get a Weber 18" grid and three bricks to prop it up. You should be able to cook two briskets that way.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You need to just call Tom Monday morning. He will talk you thru it. He will not try to sell you anything you don't need. You will find him to be one of the very good guys. He will ask you questions of how you like to cook and tell you how his product will work for you. I have AR's in both my Larges.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @mstang1988‌ If you get the R&B combo to have the ability to use two levels you will need one extra oval grid, grid extender and a slide guide and crossbar. I am really happy with mine. This is the setup I have.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I just ordered 2 AR rigs for my lg eggs. i ordered 1 of each of the combos. ( i could not decide) as i figured at one time or another I'm sure i will need it for something. i ordered the extra oval rack and something else i can't remember and should be here on tuesday but of course i will be gone till saterday to see what i got.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    R&B oval , extender, spider, extra oval grid
    Is what I went ahead and got.

Here's what's on now TJV and his "bunch o chicken" video comes to mind.
    Seattle, WA
  • mstang1988
    mstang1988 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the feedback!  I'm leaning towards the oval and the extender with an extra rack.  On the picture in the bottom one the top rack appears to be round.  Is that correct?  Will it fit a brisket?  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    No that's the sliding D, get an extra oval

Seattle, WA
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    @mstang1988‌ That is the D-rack. The oval grid is what you see below the d-rack with the jalapeños. I have both a d-rack and an extra oval grid. For a brisket an oval grid would probably be better. IMO The R&B combo comes with one oval grid.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    FWIW I went with the R&B combo.  I also ordered the Rig extender at the same time and an extra oval grid.  This sets you up with two ovals and one D-grid.  If you order the extra oval grid at the same time as the rig extender you get 10% off.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @mstang1988‌
    Just depends on your style of cooking. I bought several different pieces so I could cover a wide variety of different cooking set ups. You can't go wrong with what ever you chose my friend. Good luck.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @mstang1988‌
    I bought this as well. It serves many purposes and it's the set up that I use the most. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. I actually use the Woo far more than the AR. Just my preference. If you are not careful you will end up with more stuff than you really need. I did. But I would rather have to much than not enough any day!! Good luck my friend.imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It sounds like you need the R&B combo with an the extender rig combo and an extra oval grid. That way you can do two packers. I have everything except the extra oval grid which will probably be my next purchase next to a pizza stone. It never ends. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • mstang1988
    mstang1988 Posts: 14
    Options
    I got the R&B and an extra oval grid.  Should be tomorrow.  Man, that hurt the pocket book!  These eggs are NOT cheap!  
  • SGH
    Options
    @mstang1988‌
    Congratulations on your purchase. You will enjoy it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• cfwilen
    cfwilen Posts: 27
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm not even sure what is meant by the R&B combo.  I just got the AR / Woo2 combo and love it.  Haven't done much at the stock level since receiving.  (please ignore the poor glue job on the gasket....the ribs and brisket were much better).  Was a little expensive but wish I would have pulled the trigger much earlier.  So far, worth every penny and then some.

Portland, OR