Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Good Butcher Shop in Chapel Hill, NC Area

Options
Does anyone here have suggestions for a good meat market in the Chapel Hill, NC area? 

I'm trying to find properly cut baby back ribs for Memphis-style dry-rubbed ribs (the baby back ribs in the local supermarkets are very thick and meaty on one end, nothing like the evenly cut ribs I get at a good BBQ restaurant) and packers cut brisket (can only find flats at the local not-so-supermarket).

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I went to walmart yesterday on someone's recommendation. Can't stand the place but they had packer briskets- choice for $2.98/lb. only place besides New York butcher shop that I have found them around here.
    Greensboro, NC
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Mike - I'm in Chapel Hill too.

I usually get my ribs at Fresh Market and have been really happy with them. They are well cut

Also I saw nice baby backs at Kroger on 15-501 at Patterson Place (??? - by the Total Wine, etc). They were the Kroger "Natural' Brand near the butcher counter.  They were on the smaller side and looked pretty evenly cut. I think they were $5.99/lb.  These were NOT the Kroger "Moist and Tasty" or whatever they call their enhanced crap - those are larger, brined and awful.  

Regarding Brisket - I haven't found any packers around here either and I've asked at every meat counter I've been to. I'm importing a couple from PA when I go up next week.

The only true butcher shop in the area that I know of is Cliff's Meat Market in Carrboro. I haven't been in there in a couple years, but they have a great reputation and can probably work to get you what you want.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Not sure if you want to come to Durham, but Kings Red and White grocery has a good butcher shop, and can can you pretty much what you want.
    Durham, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    WHAT? They let you eat meat in CH? Thought they just passed a strictly vegan ordinance. Of course you have been eating a fair amount of wolf the last couple years.
    Greensboro, NC
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Fresh Market has nice baby backs. This coming Thursday - Saturday they are on sale for 3.99/lb. No enhancing solution. You can pick up nice racks for around $14 when they are on sale for this price. Walmart is the best place for brisket unless you want to pay $70 for a choice packer.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    WHAT? They let you eat meat in CH? Thought they just passed a strictly vegan ordinance. Of course you have been eating a fair amount of wolf the last couple years.
    In Chapel Hill, the let you eat whatever you want. In Carrboro it has to be free range, grass fed organic and humanely slaughtered.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Fresh Market has nice baby backs. This coming Thursday - Saturday they are on sale for 3.99/lb. No enhancing solution. You can pick up nice racks for around $14 when they are on sale for this price. Walmart is the best place for brisket unless you want to pay $70 for a choice packer.
    As much as I despise Walmart I may have to check it out for a brisket.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    @RaleighGuy @jmarbs21 @meatsa - you finding any good charcoal around other than RO? I've started ordering Rockwood from Firecraft, but it's pricey.
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy‌, unfortunately not finding anything other than RO here in Durham(maybe I'm not looking well enough), I think I am going to have to start ordering myself as well.
    Durham, NC
  • meatsa
    meatsa Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks all for the recommendations. I'll definitely check out Fresh Market for the baby backs and (shudder) WalMart for the packers cut brisket. 

I'm buying BGE charcoal at Town and Country Hardware in Chatham Downs, off 15/501. Definitely pricey, but good quality. They have other, cheaper, real-wood charcoal, but none as good as the BGE branded stuff.

I moved to Pittsboro from Mississippi about 3 years ago, and appreciate the digs at Chapel Hill and Carrboro, as well as the great sports rivalry between the area universities. Wonderful place to live.

Mike