Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

The 6 most important barbecue sauce styles in the country

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/the-six-most-important-barbecue-sauces-you-need-to-know-about

What I thought was interesting was no Kansas City was included nor Memphis.  Spot on for the NC two. 
Thanks,

Matthew
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
My Photography Site
·

Comments

• HankyorkeHankyorke Posts: 146
    Arthur Bryant = Kansas City...

LBGE

BTFU!

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,690
    Wait. There are TWO sauces in NC? Not familiar with anything west of I95. 

:))
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,411
    @Carolina Q - At first I was a little taken by west vs. east sauce... I prefer to say Lexington and the other one. 
    :)>-

With all do respect though, I do not discriminate.  I like the other ones BBQ too. 
    Thanks,

Matthew

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
    @Hankyorke I thought for sure KC would have made it. 
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,710
    I've met those crazy people who promote white sauce.....they're pretty cool
    ·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 8,331
    @"Carolina Q"‌ East Coast!
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
    @NPHuskerFL, you're an advocate for that mess too?  Get off I-95 and get on I-85 and get to Lexington! 
    :D
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • SmokinpigSmokinpig Posts: 483

Arthur Bryant is a KC Joint so they made it. I always thought technically there was no such thing as a Memphis sauce. Memphis ribs are dry.  Nice to see the Carolinas taking up 50% of the list.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

I bow to YEMTrey, the college basketball guru of the Egghead Forum.

·
    Smokinpig said:

Arthur Bryant is a KC Joint so they made it. I always thought technically there was no such thing as a Memphis sauce. Memphis ribs are dry.  Nice to see the Carolinas taking up 50% of the list.

They do have dry ribs, but sauce is on the side.....
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 834
    Though in KC, Arthur Bryant's doesn't make "typical" KC sauce. It's not a "type" either.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • BRush00BRush00 Posts: 311
    Not knowing much about the "real BBQ scene" down there in the Sates....

Am I the only one who loves the Southern Carolina - mustard based sauce? It's my favorite sauce for Pulled Pork by a long-shot
    [Insert clever signature line here]
    ·
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 1,000
    @BRush00 - Right there with ya.  I good mustard based sauce like Johnny Harris is where it's at!!!
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
    -Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,731
    BRush00 said:
    Not knowing much about the "real BBQ scene" down there in the Sates....

Am I the only one who loves the Southern Carolina - mustard based sauce? It's my favorite sauce for Pulled Pork by a long-shot
    @BRush00 I live in SC and have since I was in elementary school. And yellow mustard bbq sauce is my least favorite ha. I prefer vinegar based. I think most of the yellow mustard I ate growing up was Maurice's and when I go to a good bbq joint I always get vinegar (Hudson's BBQ in Lexington, SC currently makes my favorite vinegar based) 
    Boom
    ·
  • HogHeavenHogHeaven Posts: 264
    All store bought BBQ sauces have 9 different ingredients in them that are there... To increase shelf life. I suggest you learn to make your own. Here's how to do it... http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/
    ·
  • apinionapinion Posts: 261
    HogHeaven said:
    All store bought BBQ sauces have 9 different ingredients in them that are there... To increase shelf life. I suggest you learn to make your own. Here's how to do it... http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/
    Wonderful info in this.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
    ·
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 1,669
    jlsm said:

Though in KC, Arthur Bryant's doesn't make "typical" KC sauce. It's not a "type" either.

Yes Arthur Bryant's is definitely not normal KC sauce and it is my favorite bbq place in KC where I'm from. They have different varieties of his sause. When passed there was a cool cartoon in the paper about his sauce. Here it is.
    http://www.hollyeats.com/images/MidWest/ArthurBryants-BringSauceCartoon.jpg
    XL, WSM 
    Kansas City, Mo.
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 834
    @Ladeback69‌, couldn't get the link to work, but I remember one with St. Peter. Is it that one? A few years ago we bought a bottle of the original while we were there and I developed a copycat recipe that my husband couldn't distinguish from the original. Let me know if you want it.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • FATC1TYFATC1TY Posts: 274
    edited June 2014
    I'm all over the place..

My gut says.. no sauce, as I'm a CenTex raised guy, with the Hill Country in my blood. Infact, I can't recall ever eating sauce with anything from a smoker while growing up.. Never knew any better.

But.. and a big but.. I do love me some Carolina style Q.  I'm in GA which tends to split it out and they love some sweeter sauces like the Western NC side. We've got a place in WNC, and if I do make a sauce, I have to do West and East... I prefer eastern NC, vinegar base, and only a little. Enough to keep it moist, and a little enough I don't feel like I'm victimizing my pulled pork.

Wings.. It's hard for me to NOT desire the yellow SC style mustard sauce, it's addicting for sure. Best of both worlds in tangy and sweet, thick and delicious.

FWIW, I've got a vinegar sauce made up for the butt on the smoker today.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
    ·
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 1,669
    XL, WSM 
    Kansas City, Mo.
    ·
    edited June 2014
    Little Lexington fare here....

Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,890
    Never would've considered putting a mustard sauce on chicken....  :-/

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·