Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long?

Options
I have three butts that are going to be ready around midnight. They are to be eaten at noon tomorrow. How long, wrapped up in aluminum foil and towels and in a cooler, will to meat be okay?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I would suggest that 12 hours is a big stretch regardless of cooler.  That said, I'm impressed that you can guess with any level of confidence as to when the cooks will finish.  I would slow down the cook and also recognize that each butt will finish when it is ready and that may not be anywhere near the same time as the others.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    12 hours FTC seems a bit long. Hopefully somebody on here can advise you on time limits for optimal pull times. I FTC'd two butts Thursday for about 5 hours in a cheap cooler. Temp at pull time was 172 degrees and perfect.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • joejoeshooter
    Options
    Lousubcap I guess I'm just speculating on that midnight. I think I've done enough to where I can kind of guess it. It's at 176 plateau right now. So I'm assuming a few more hours. I really don't want to have to refrigerate them though.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would put those in the fridge, 12 hrs is longer than I'm comfortable with.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you can't get within around 6-7 hours until ready to serve while still on the BGE, I would finish the cook, pull the pork and reheat.  However, you may find another stall  in the high 180's to mid 190's that will help you out.  It seems that wherever I don't want the "second stall" it shows up.  Gotta love the piggy inconsistency-Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • joejoeshooter
    Options
    What if I put it in the oven triple wrapped at about 160°? Would it dry out?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I would toss in a little liquid (apple juice or water) into the pan and  set the oven for 170*F if it can go that low and let it go til ready to pull.  This will greatly soften the bark but if not serving PP connoisseurs then you will be just fine as the taste will be most eggcellent.  FWIW-
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options

The oven might be your best bet, you need to keep them over 140 or chill them to below 40.

• lousubcap
    Options
    If you end up with the oven routine-then find  some sort of grate (if you can)  to put in the bottom of any pan to keep the pork elevated from the direct liquid.  
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I cooked two butts a couple of weeks ago that finished on Saturday night for a party on Sunday afternoon.  I reheated the pulled pork in the oven at 225 degrees in a glass baking dish foiled with a very small amount of apple juice.  Worked out very well.  The trick is to bring it slowly up to temp (140-150 degrees or so).
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)