Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WTF Mate?

Options
How can this cost money?vGonna have to buy lump in bulk when it hoes on sale, and I'm going on a ninja mission in the middle of the night to my local orchard for apple wood from now on.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome to the world of charcoal hoarding. Buy however much you can store when lump goes on sale. It is customary to buy another house for storing ones stash. :)

As far as the wood, if you check with your local orchards, they will likely give you wood from their trimmings in the spring or whenever they do that sort of thing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    If you have Academy Sports around you they have can assortment of woods for smoking in very large bags(about trash bag size) for $10-$13.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @Randy1‌ looks like I'm about 547 miles from the nearest Academy Sports lol so to the orchards I go
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Wow, those prices suck! My local home depot has way better prices than that. I'm in Pittsburgh and the relative lack of BBQers makes typically for higher prices.

I rec firecraft online. You can get great prices on charcoal and they have free shipping when u spend $100. Can't beat it!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I saw bags of "Western" brand Apple, Cherry and Hickory Chunks at Kroger yesterday for ~$8.00 /bag.  Was shocked that Kroger had chunks. Bought one of each.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I've been looking for new sources of wood myself. I've got white oak in the backyard I need to start using.

Been buying my special stuff like post oak, and hickory from fruita wood. Expensive but I don't have to use much for it to smoke like the dried out crap from the home improvement stores that burns up like crazy.

Get my apple from an orchard in North Carolina during the summer. Good prime stuff that just doesn't taste like the apple you get from the stores in the bags.

Lump though.. I take my "lumps".. I like Rockwood, $1 a pound pretty much, but it works out fine, and it's the cost to play!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    My brother had spoke to a guy with an apple orchard and is meeting him at 330 today, hopefully it goes well so neither of us has to spend much more money.

@xiphoid007‌ I will check out fire craft as well, thanks!
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    @GalanteNate_OneEa‌ you're welcome! The best charcoal I can find locally is royal oak, which is OK, but the Ozark oak I'm burning through now is far better. Gonna try a load of rock wood next!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Lump price looks normal. I have never purchased smoke chunks. Apple, hickory, maple, oak, pear. I get a piece of every hardwood tree that falls or is cut in my neighborhood. Am set for a couple of years
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY