Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Chile Cheeseburgers

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485

I fell in love with these things while stationed at Kirtland AFB, they are a New Mexico specialty and my favorite burger.  Green chile peppers (hopefully from Hatch) are roasted in a large, rotating basket until the skins are charred black, the chiles are poured into a plastic garbage bag to steam for a couple hours, then the blackened skins slide off and the peppers are frozen.  There is a restaurant in Salt Lake City that gets a couple semi-truck loads of the chiles end of every summer, and I get a bushel every year to keep me happy.  I added some porcini powder and fish sauce to the raw hamburger for some umami, and cooked 'em raised direct with some Jack Daniels barrel chips.  Yum!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Two please!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I like it. I've had a few burgers like that as well. Haven't had one in a while. When I was stationed at Ft. Carson, we would go get Anaheim peppers for salsa. The smell of the peppers rotating in the basket as the weed burner roast them is amazing.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Botch‌ saw the ATK photos in your collection- is that from their Promontory, UT facility? Been there many times- we supply them a heat ablative for their solid fueled rockets.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Botch
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    @Botch‌ saw the ATK photos in your collection- is that from their Promontory, UT facility? Been there many times- we supply them a heat ablative for their solid fueled rockets.

Yup, I worked there from '97 to '99 (I really was a rocket scientist!)  The place is a ghost of its old self now that both the Shuttle program and the Minuteman III PRP program are done.  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Botch‌ My wife grew up in Taos, NM(& also in Pueblo, CO) and she still has family there. Green Hatch Chile is a real staple. We had some shipped fresh from family to us here in FL a few yrs ago. We roasted them etc and froze for future usage. Sadly we are out now. So, we have to resort to canned Hatch (it's ok but, not as good as fresh of course). We have used them on burgers, dogs, brats, sausage, smothered burritos, stuffed Chile rellenos, and I like them plain or with a lil slice of melted pepperjack cheese. My wife was telling my that when she was a kid and worked at the Sonic in Taos area they sold a Burger w/ Hatch. Awesome stuff! Looks great @Botch‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Harris Teeter carries fresh Hatch Chiles each year, you can grab some @ the Fernandina location
  • Botch
    Options
    We have used them on burgers, dogs, brats, sausage, smothered burritos, stuffed Chile rellenos, and I like them plain or with a lil slice of melted pepperjack cheese. 

The majority of my chile goes into a sauce for Huevos Rancheros: a fried corn tortilla topped with a couple fried eggs, the chile sauce, topped with cheese, and under the broiler for a moment.  Sides of fried chorizo, hashbrowns, and a flour tortilla make a damn fine breakfast.  
    ;)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I could easily put away a few of those!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    beteez said:

Harris Teeter carries fresh Hatch Chiles each year, you can grab some @ the Fernandina location

Thanks! Very good to know this. I would make the trip for some fresh Hatch even though this is close to 150-200mi round trip. It would be well worth the smile it would put on my gals face :-)

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Botch in re: to the Huevos y rancheros. My wife makes this for us too. Plate licking good! :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014