Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Practice Run

Options
mcmac
mcmac Posts: 496
Tonight I'm conducting a practice run on a brisket cook. In two weeks I will be cooking for about 55 people at my daughters wedding rehearsal dinner.
This is my kind of practice... Where the benefit is more than obvious.
The egg is currently at 250... Waiting for it to stabilize and it's off to bed for me.
XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @mcmac‌ I will follow for tomorrow's results. Looks like your off to a great start. Are you using any sort of pit temp controller etc.?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mcmac
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, no... no type of controller at this point. I may have look into getting one as I think I have purchased most of the other accessories that interest me. Going old school for this one.
    I am trying the BGE dizzy gourmet "CosmicCow" for the first time. I'm interested to taste the results. 

Hillsboro OR
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    FWIW I was on the I don't need that mumbo jumbo camp until.... I got my Stoker. For a L&S or anything under say 400℉ it's a dream. However, truthfully I only use it for L&S. It has been well worth the investment. The last brisky I did I used Mickey's. Other than that I have my own rub recipe. I prefer using my recipe over any commercially produced rubs. Or the good ole' tried and true Kosher Salt and Coarse Ground Pepper.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mcmac
    Options
    I have no doubt that I will pick one up here soon since this hobby has replaced all of the time spent coaching and watching my kids complete through their youth. Now that I am about to become a grandfather I seem to have a bunch of time to kill... hence the passion for BBQ and the whole learning process and science that goes with it.
    I did take a run at a homemade rub a few years ago but it wasnt exactly a show stopper! I guess I should keep trying new recipes until I find one I really like. You can never really go wrong with good old salt and pepper can you.

Hillsboro OR
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @mamac, looking forward to seeing how your test run goes. FWIW, I don't use a pit controller, rarely even use my maverick any more.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding and your grandchild. About 5 weeks now until my first grandchild(son) is due to arrive.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    mcmac said:
    I have no doubt that I will pick one up here soon since this hobby has replaced all of the time spent coaching and watching my kids complete through their youth. Now that I am about to become a grandfather I seem to have a bunch of time to kill... hence the passion for BBQ and the whole learning process and science that goes with it.
    I did take a run at a homemade rub a few years ago but it wasnt exactly a show stopper! I guess I should keep trying new recipes until I find one I really like. You can never really go wrong with good old salt and pepper can you.

Similar circumstances here. Retired from the Army in 2008 and my youngest left for the Army a year after I retired. With both kids out of the house and working a job that took up a fraction of the time that the Army consumed, I didn't know what to do. Took awhile to figure out what to do with my time. I slowly started to get interested in BBQ and home cooking. Last year it kicked into full swing after I got the LBGE. Although I miss watching my daughter perform or sing and my son's wrestling and soccer games, I am really enjoying Egging. Congrats on being a soon to be grandpa. My 10 month old grandson comes to visit us next week from Alaska. Good luck @mcmac on your big cook in a couple of weeks. I can't imagine cooking for such a large group. Keep us updated.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • mcmac
    Options
    TexanOfTheNorth, I use my Maverick quite a bit, especially when I have one eye when pretending to sleep during these overnighters  ;)
    Congrats on your future grandchild as well. That should put you about 6 weeks ahead of us. My son and his wife are so excited to become parents.

stemc33, Its amazing how much spare time we seem to have after the children leave the nest isnt it! Those wrestling tourneys can be looong days :-O. Our youngest wrestled through HS and I really enjoyed the attending the matches.
    We did a similar cook for my sons rehearsal dinner a couple of years ago and it turned out pretty good. I think we did 3 briskets,15 racks of ribs and a couple of butts. I was cooking most of the night and all day, but I did recruit a little help for the hours that we were actually attending the rehearsal. Its a lot of work but I find it very rewarding.
    PS. I put in 4 years in the AF from 82 to 86. Congrats on retiring and for your service my friend.

Hillsboro OR