Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat prices

Hey all, Through work I receive the Kipplinger Ag forecast. The last forecast is for significant increases in meat prices through 2015. If you have the ability to stock up at current lower prices I would do so. Main reason is the impact of the drought and the pork virus. The limited good news is there appears to be a new vaccine for the pork virus which should eventually help pork prices.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    In the atlanta area. Yesterday at publix, butt was $3.49 lb. Baby back, on sale, were $4.49 lb. it is getting out of control.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Record fuel prices which only appear to be headed upward are a also killer to most goods, especially nondurables. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• I have 4 kids. We eat a lot of beef throughout the year. I purchase my beef from a local farmer whose family has been raising cattle for over 100 years. It's all natural. I buy a side which is half a cow. I get to cut the side the way I want. It turns out to be $3.50-3.60 per pound. Much cheaper than the store. It's not fun writing the check, but saves me a lot in the long run.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Prices have been going up here to.
    Pork butts are up to $1.79# from $1.29 6 months ago.
    Brisket is up to $3.28 from $1.99 6-7 months ago.
    I actually picked up 6 racks of BB ribs a couple of weeks ago for $2.99#.
    And today I was at WM and checked the packer briskets and they had 1 at $2.99#. I asked the guy in the meat dept. if they had any more and he said no he did not. Then he proceeded to tell me he could reduce the price for me. Who was I to say no. He dropped the price to $2.09#. This was a 18# packer. He saved me $16. :D
    The date says it's good until 7/7. Looks like I'll be making this next weekend.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    If it is cryovac'd you could stick it in the fridge until 9/7 and it would be fine....
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Yes it's cryovaced. But, it'll never last until 9/7. Not that it would go bad. I don't have the willpower to look at it everyday and not eat it-LOL. I wanted it for the 4th anyway.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My neighbor bought a two butt packer at our local grocery store for $1.99 a pound. I don't know if it still is, but I don't have a lot of freezer space except in my old fridge that may not last the year. Wife wouldn't like me buying a big freezer and load it with meat. What to do?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I have a hog farmer friend who just gave me a whole hog and we buy a side of beef each year.     I think my beef price is around $3.50 per pound and I only paid for processing on the hog.   As stated above I hate writing the check for the beef but you cant beat the taste and I only write it once per year so I get over it quickly.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE