Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to use your egg

2»

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

It's a fan on a clamp.... pass

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • GeorgeP
    GeorgeP Posts: 9
    Yeah, I'm actually no big fan of lighter fluid.  It was just a quick demo video of the BBQ Dragon, and I regret not using my wax sticks, because a lot of people get pretty offended when they see fluids spraying around.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    This forum used to be much friendlier. If I was in LA I be glad for you to use mine george.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited June 2014
    I use a ... ahh-hemmmm, weber chimney to start mine and it is hot in 7-8 minutes.  and NEVER use lighter fluid in an egg.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    The Looftlighter gets it done in 3 minutes. 3 minute abs!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GeorgeP
    I totally respect those points about chimneys and plug-in ignitors - they're the opinions of experts and based on real experience - but, with respect, we have accepted many "chimney challenges," and no one has ever come close to beating a BBQ Dragon. And a Looftlighter will "ignite" a charcoal fire in 3 minutes, but doesn't get that fire ready for cooking. And you have to hold it. And plug it in. 

Honestly, when you start using this you'll be astounded. It'll have your Egg hot enough to cook pizza in two minutes. Hear that "ting?" That's your thermometer pegging out. Better open carefully.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Since this is just a blower and not a flame thrower, how do you light the coals to start? If using a fire starter, do you need for it to burn out before turning the Dragon on? If not, does it blow out the flame and let the starter smolder?
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    GeorgeP said:
    I totally respect those points about chimneys and plug-in ignitors - they're the opinions of experts and based on real experience - but, with respect, we have accepted many "chimney challenges," and no one has ever come close to beating a BBQ Dragon. And a Looftlighter will "ignite" a charcoal fire in 3 minutes, but doesn't get that fire ready for cooking. And you have to hold it. And plug it in. 

Honestly, when you start using this you'll be astounded. It'll have your Egg hot enough to cook pizza in two minutes. Hear that "ting?" That's your thermometer pegging out. Better open carefully.

You're right, but almost all of us wait awhile anyway to let the VOCs burn off. I get things started pretty well with the Looftlighter, then I go back inside to continue prepping the meal. I don't need to use anything else to get things going - no lighter fluid, zip.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I watched a couple of the videos, but they showed the fan lighting briqs in a kettle. How does this work for an egg? Do you point it towards the bottom intake, or attach it to the rim of the base and blow onto the top of the lump with the lid open?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wilma says I got enough hot air.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    I think it'd work both blowing into the lower vent as well as blowing down on the fire to stoke it....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    GeorgeP said:
    Mr RRP, you are right. I make a product called a BBQ Dragon. I'm embarrassed that I don't own a BGE, but I literally have 9 grills in the back yard and my wife wants another kid before we get an Egg.
    I have a nice video of the product on a ceramic cooker on YouTube which I want to reproduce on a BGE.

Not trying to be rude, but did you just join the forum to get contacts for your business promotion? Is this a one time discussion? It's not embarrassing to not own an egg. Eggs are unique cooking devices that are liked and cherished by many, but are not owned by everyone for various reasons. A couple of reasons people might not own an Egg are cooking preference, mobility, or maybe money just to list a few. Nothing really to be embarrassed about, it's just how it is. Your comment about being embarrassed kinda struck me as odd that's all. Hopefully you'll stick around the forum to learn from and contribute to some of the finest dedicated outdoor cooks. And good luck to you with the BBQ Dragon. Maybe it'll be a good match for some of the BGE owners.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    To be blunt and to the point i think this is a worthless product for the egg.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I could see using that on my XL when I'm searing on the CI grid.  I use a chimney and it comes up to speed pretty quick sitting on the side burner of my gas grill.  But 1 chimney load isn't enough to cook on in the XL if I'm doing 5 or more T-bones, so I need to wait for the fire to spread.  I could see using this because it is battery powered and a hair dryer needs to be plugged in.

If I'm doing low & slow or using the medium egg, I don't see a need.  If it were $19 or $29, I'd try it on a lark. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GeorgeP
    caliking said:
    I watched a couple of the videos, but they showed the fan lighting briqs in a kettle. How does this work for an egg? Do you point it towards the bottom intake, or attach it to the rim of the base and blow onto the top of the lump with the lid open?
    I think the best way is pointed in the bottom vent. There's always a leg nearby to clip it to, then you dial in just the amount of air you want. Light the coals first, with whatever method you want, newspaper, wax, Looftlighter - then pretty much right away you turn on the Dragon pointing in the bottom hole, at a low speed, and it will take it from there. But the cooler thing for Egg owners, is that after your fire is going, you can turn on the Dragon full blast and in seconds have temperatures above 1500 degrees for searing steaks. If that's how you roll. 

I think it just gives you a precise control over your fire that members of this forum will appreciate more than the average guy. 

The few times I used it clipped to the top rim are when I'm actually trying to cool down the cooker. I've had trouble before getting my temps quickly back down for low-and-slow if I've over-heated, so then I close the vents and open the cooker and use the BBQ Dragon to blow into the top lid to cool it off for a few minutes.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    It's basically a blow dryer on a clamp and I think I rather buy the Bison-airlighter.html. I use an electric element right now and I can have my Egg up to 700 in 20 minutes using it and Rockwood lump. That gives me time to prep my food.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I start fires this way with my temp controller - disconnect the thermometer and let it go.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You can also use a shop vac with the hose connected to the exhaust. Disadvantage is no variable speed fan and no clip to hold it. I vary the amount of air going in by altering how close and at what angle I am aiming the hose. I keep a small Shop Vac in my deck box for this and cleanup.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GeorgeP
    Just wanted to thank McStew, who generously lent me his egg and his beautiful rooftop patio to shoot our little video on yesterday. Turns out, he built his own table/grill stand for his BGE, and it's really nice-looking and well-made. Great table and a very cool guy. We couldn't have asked for more. Thanks, McStew!
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    George Thanks again for the demo / dragon and hope the video turns out well, looking forward to seeing it.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Grilling Party at @McStew place! :D

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    how long does the battery last?

Brandon, MS
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    This would be a great excuse to find someone's egg to steal ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    @McStew‌ what's the verdict? Your the only one on here to see it and interact with @GeorgeP‌ in person.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I'm sticking to what I said before waste of money I'm guessing
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    @GeorgeP has created a great product that is sum what similar to the eggcelerator it has a different look and he has added a speed control to it as well.  Is it for everyone maybe maybe not that is always debatable.  Personally I used it at the beach not on and egg, this weekend when cooking burgers and I held off lighting the charcoal to the last min knowing I could get it up to temp with in minuets of wanting to cook.  It is very well put together and  looks like it will be part of my tool collection for years to come.  

Hermosa Beach CA