Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Whole hog cook

Good buddy and I are doing our first whole hog tonight/tomorrow.

140 pound pig went on around 11:45 tonight. Hoping it tastes good when it's done.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @randerson1126‌
    It will be excellent my friend. If you don't mind me asking what temp are you running at? Can't see the pic very well as it is dark but curious what kind of rig are you cooking the hog on? Thanks

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Borrowed a friend's old cooker. Settled in at 245 before bed at 1 a.m. and more or less stayed there until waking up this morning at 6:30.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks good from here. Can't wait to see the final pics.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You are in for a treat. Just curious, why did you cut the feet off? Did you need to get it to fit? Or do you have other plans for the feet?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Needed a little space in the cooker.
  • For anyone who has done a whole hog before — if it is coming up to temp a little faster than we would like, what is a safe grid temp to hold it at to keep warm or cook more slowly?
  • DMW
    edited June 2014
    Safe as in food safety, or safe as in fire won't go out? From a food safety standpoint you can drop down to 170* to hold it. Safe not to have the fire go out will depend on the cooker. I would drop to 225*, let it ride for a bit. Then you could drop to 200* if you need to. Always stabilize for a good while after an adjustment to make sure you haven't lost fire.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    You can drop your cooker temp to as low as 170 for several hours and not hurt anything at all. For reference I cook them between 200-225. I have had to drop temp many times due to completion time. It will not hurt nothing.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• randerson1126
    randerson1126 Posts: 75
    edited June 2014
    It turned out well. Great time doing it. Looking forward to doing it again!
  • SGH
    @randerson1126‌
    Nothing is more enjoyable than cooking and producing a quality whole hog. Glad it turned out my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    That looks great!

My anticipation for next weekend will continue to grow as it nears. Made all the final plans last night. Cooker is reserved, pig is ordered, keg is lined up, my buddies wife has ordered slaw and is picking up beans, soft serve ice cream machine is reserved, and he picked up out of state fireworks. I will take pics, but posting may be erradict or not at all until after the event.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA