Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Bacon ?

Options
Just bought a 4 lb pork loin and wanna make Canadian Bacon. I have Ruhlmans book and it says to brine for about 48 with pink salt and other ingredients then dry in fridge overnight before smoking to 150 IT. Is this the only way to do it? Was thinking more like curing pork belly where it takes 7-10 days in a dry rub. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Brining is a lot faster than a dry cure.  You can get too much salt in the meat.  But that's a reversible process - you can take salt out by soaking in fresh water.  You only need 48.  You can go longer but it will be saltier.  The biggest complaint I read about home made Canadian bacon is the salt - too much.  You can always add salt in the unlikely event your CB is not salty enough.
    Thanks Nola. Good to know on the saltiness. I got the time and would prefer to dry rub. Would like to smoke it next weekend. Any idea on amounts if I don't want to brine ?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can use the same formula (as in time and amount) as a Montreal brisket for a dry rub.  That might be in Ruhlman's book, or you can look up a few recipes online.
    Options
    Morton's Tenderquick, rub it in at 1Tablespoon per Pound, Rub w/ brown sugar, place in a ziplock, refrigerate for 7 days, turn everyday, on day 8, remove from bag, soak in cool water for 30 minutes, drain & repeat 3 or 4 times, place on cake rack in refrigerator for 24 hrs, remove & season w/ garlic powder & crushed red pepper, smoke at 100 degrees for 45 minutes, raise temp to 200, smoke until 145 degrees internal. Pull & place in ziplock & place in cold water to stop the cook, refrigerate overnight .... enjoy
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 with @Nolaegghead. Brine for 48 hours, then soak in fresh water for a while to remove some of the saltiness. I smoked mine at 250 to an IT of 150. Cherry wood.
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    im a fan of the dizzy pig recipe, if you dont have cowlick sub in a montreal steak seasoning. i dont soak before smoking, i smoke it, cool it down, slice and package. day of the cook i rinse the slices for 2 seconds under the faucet and fry

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/dizzy-pig-cow-lick-canadian-bacon-ii/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Here is a thread that was on here recently about canadian bacon. I plan to give this a shot.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167361/i-m-addicted
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm trying the brine recipe next go around just to save the time. I had to cure mine 2 weeks with the method I used.

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's my run, it turned out great, following Ruhlman's recipe.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Gonna go the brine route this time. Might only be brined for about 30 hours before I put it in the fridge over night to dry. Think that will be long enough to brine or should I stick to the 48 hour brine time?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Typically I follow the instructions the first time I do something like this and get a baseline, then adjust based on the results and my personal preference. 

Ruhlman does write about increasing the brine concentration and reducing the pickle time.  As a matter of fact he has a quick brine for chicken - 10% rather than the standard 5%. 

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/how-to-brine-chicken-quick-brine-recipe/
    Options
    I did the dry rub version and it turned out great but then again, I'm Canadian so I probably had a genetic advantage.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Haven't tried cannuck bacon yet. Is slicing by hand feasible or do I need to find a slicer?
    Dunedin, FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @yzzi Yes, can be sliced by hand. Par freeze it before slicing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker