Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt-by dawn's early light

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put on a medium size butt just after dawn with the hopes of it being done about seven this evening. Made a batch of JJ's rub last night and applied not what I would call a liberal amount but a good bit all the same. What was left over was put on two steak's, one "slathered", I like that word, with mustard and the other not. Both had there on unique taste with no particular preference for either. By the way I used Grey Poupon country dijion. There should be a good bit of the butt left over, thought I would try my hand at Brunswick Stew,any suggestion's?
Mark

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mark,
    Pass the Grey Poupon. I have never tried that kind in lieu of yellow mustard. The mustard serves two main functions, as I understabd it, and that is to tenderize the meat and to give a nice crust to the outside. The tenerization comes from the vinegar and as long as the Poupon has a large amount of vinegar it should be about the same. I have yet to try mustard on a steak - but I rub it on most anything else. Try the yellow mustard sometime and let us know if you notice any difference. [p]Good luck on the Butt. A medium butt might be 5 lbs - and I would guess about 13-15 hrs.[p]Tim

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Mark,
    RED's BRUNSWICK STEW
    Submitted by: SloMo mlsmith@monroeaccess.net [p]

Basic Georgia style Brunswick Stew[p]Ingredients:
    • 2 Cup Barbecued Pork - Chopped • 1 Cup Barbecue Sauce
    • 2 Cup Cooked chicken - Chopped • 2 Tbs Butter
    • 2 Cup Crushed Tomatoes • Whorcestershire Sauce
    • 1 Cup Onions - Chopped • Cayenne Pepper Sauce
    • 1 Can 10 oz can White Corn • ¼ tsp Salt & Black Pepper
    • 1 tsp Garlic - Finely Chopped [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Slow cook a Boston Butt for the barbecued pork and chop. 1+/- lb. = 2 cups. Do not chop too fine, about the size of your thumb nail.
    • Cook the chicken, it can be grilled, boiled, broiled or fried (I slow cook on BGE). A small hen is about 2-½ cups. Do not chop too fine.[p]
    Cooking Directions:
    • Melt butter in a Dutch Oven (cast iron are best).
    • Add onions and cook till tender, then add the garlic, tomatotes and corn.
    • Simmer 5 minutes.
    • Add pork and chicken.
    • Cover and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
    • Add salt and black pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, Cayne Pepper Sauce to taste and Barbecue Sauce.
    • If mixture is too thick add a small amount of water (beer works fine).
    • Taste.
    • Adjust seasonings if necessary. [p]Special Instructions:
    • Brunswick Stew can consist of almost anything. Some recipes call for Rabbit, squirrel, goat, etc. Add anything you like.
    • Brunswick Stew is great on a cold winter's night with a large slab of Red's Cornbread dripping with butter. You stand a better chance of getting gold out of Fort Knox than you do of getting her cornbread recipe.
    • Many BBQ joints serve Brunswick Stew as a side dish with BBQ pork. [p]

[p]Return to Index

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Tim M,
    Somwhere in the five lb. range 7:00 to 8:00 this evening I figure. Set the Polder for eight hours and 200 degrees, look at it an hour or so later and it had quit working a couple minutes after being started. Are these things affected by temp, it's in the middle 20's, brought it inside, let it warm up and now that the sun is up it seem's to be fine. Also would you put rub on the chicken going in the stew?
    Mark

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mark,
    Ohhh, I would jump it up to 225 at minimum or you will be there much longer than 8pm tonight. You won't hurt it to go to 250. As the internal temp rises (and it does so fast at first) you will see it almost stop. Don't worry - thats normal and you can bump up the Egg to 275 at that point if you like. Pulled pork is probably the easiest thing to make and not screw up on the Egg. Have fun!![p]Tim

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Mark,[p]As Tim stated cook with a dome temp of 225*-250* until you reach an internal temp of 200* on your Polder. Your Polder runs on a battery and the extreme cold may have drained the life from that battery temporarly. Bringing it in from the cold for a little while may have brought it back to life. You don't need to set the timer...just the internal temp of the polder needs to be set at 200*. You may also have only experienced little to no change in the meat temp until things get to cooking inside the egg and the temp will start to rise. I see no problem with rub on your chicken for the stew.[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Bob,
    One of things that I do with my polder when the weather is questionable is to only plug in the probe when I need to check the temperature. I put the probe wire in a Ziploc bag. For the majority of the time, you really do not care what the internal temperature is. Only towards the end of the cooking time do I leave it plugged in.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]That is really an excellent idea. I'm adding that to my list of do's and don'ts. Thanks for the advice and I'm sure many others will benefit from reading this as well.[p]