Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill table plans with a concrete top

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
For someone wanting concise plans and hand holding instructions to build a table for your egg then pick up a September issue of WOOD magazine. While the plans are for sinking a Weber in the center it could easily be changed for a BGE.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    Options
    Here's another idea I have tossed around for years, but have not buzzed the boards yet to make. I would alter the design to be longer plus hold my mini using a recess holding a paver stone so the table could still be knocked down for easy of transportation.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    There a really cool system to make concrete counter tops I believe its called z forms. I think I'm going to try to do our kitchen countertops with them. You pour in place and pop them off after and can make alot of different edge designs. I will probably do my egg table first before I try the kitchen.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have no interest in a table that houses an egg. I like my nest and side table. But I would like a nicer side tab;e. A while back, I happened on some pics of a house in New Zealand hand built by a 60+ year old (I'm guessing) woman named Dhaj Sumner. Sort of like the Hobbit House in the UK. In her dining room she has a table built from a couple of flitches milled from a tree on her property. She filled in the open areas with pebbles so, not only does it look cool, but it would make a great trivet!

I WANT one!!! I have two sawmills within 15 miles of my house. Sure would love to get a couple of weird shaped planks and come up with something like this...

Go Dhaj!!!

My best bet for weather resistance would be white oak I guess. Around here anyway. I occasionally see some black locust trees, but not at a sawmill. That stuff would outlive my great grandchildren!

Anyway, just a dream for now.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Michael - I agree that is a beautiful piece of furniture!
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Here's the rest of the table...

And an article with more pics. I was wrong about her age. She's 77!!!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Q, she still has a ways to go. Bilbo made it to 111.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    RRP said:
    For someone wanting concise plans and hand holding instructions to build a table for your egg then pick up a September issue of WOOD magazine. While the plans are for sinking a Weber in the center it could easily be changed for a BGE.

Would you be able to show us a picture of what the table looks like? Not asking to share plans. Just curious if it looks like it would work for a non-concrete top.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • RRP
    Options
    Hibby said:
    RRP said:

Would you be able to show us a picture of what the table looks like? Not asking to share plans. Just curious if it looks like it would work for a non-concrete top.

Give me some time and I'll post something for you tonight. BTW the concrete top is the optional top, so the answer is yes!
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hibby said:
    RRP said:

here you go!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Funny, I stumbled upon that site today. Wish I had that for a vacation home.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Vacation home? I could live there full time! Love that place! 'Cept I never could figure out where the head was!  =))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I kept looking for you to post pictures and I never saw it. Please accept my apology for not thanking you sooner. Thanks for posting. I'm going to go get the magazine but I'm wondering if the frame is sturdy enough for an egg vs. a weber kettle. Thanks again for posting.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • RRP
    Options
    Hibby said:
    I kept looking for you to post pictures and I never saw it. Please accept my apology for not thanking you sooner. Thanks for posting. I'm going to go get the magazine but I'm wondering if the frame is sturdy enough for an egg vs. a weber kettle. Thanks again for posting.

No problem! Like I said those plans would need to be altered some to allow the BGE to be used. But those alterations are merely beefing up the bottom bracing and adding a lower shelf for the egg to rest on instead of hanging a Weber. Good luck. - got a buddy or an in-law that likes to butcher lumber?...bet they could help you with the project and figure the modifications.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ there is an underground house like that that I drive past every day. All you can see from the road is a garage door with a hill and grass on top. Wish I knew how it looked inside.