Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late Night Lamb

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just a couple of racks rubbed with Bad Byron's. Trying something different with these racks. Going to cook them raised direct between 350-400 degrees over a little apple wood.
I'm cooking them at almost midnight. Why? If they flop no one will know except me. Everyone else is asleep.
Will post pics when complete. Thanks for looking.
imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Flipping them every 3 minutes to try and prevent scorching.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Looks tasty. Never tried lamb that I can remember anyway. Must be tender compared to other similar cuts on different animals.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    @stemc33‌
    Lamb is excellent cooked indirect low and slow. This cook is a experiment to see how raised direct works on the lamb. I have already had to drop my temp to 325 to keep from over darkening. Just something I wanted to try to see how it turned out. Thanks for looking my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    @SGH - nice rack my friend.  I'm sorry you had to see what couldn't be unseen - not so nice racks earlier.

Butt Rub is good stuff.  My buddy down the street is friends with Bad Byron.  He made cutting boards for years, and he made the trophies for many sanctioned events.  Look for the pig board trophies here...he made 'em.  http://www.buttrub.com/tour.html

Anyway, I love me some rack of lamb.  Those look mighty fine.

@nolaegghead‌
    Have you ever cooked them direct? This is honestly the first time that I have tried it. I have cooked literally tons of lamb but always indirect.

Status- Standing by.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I need to do some lamb, that looks delicious!
  • nolaegghead
    @SGH - I've done them both ways.  That cut does not benefit from a low and slow other than cooking it more evenly and adding smoke.  There's no making it more tender.  Regardless of how it's cooked, it should not be cooked over medium rare or it gets tough and tasteless.  It is a delicate cut.

Looks excellent, now I'm hungry - thanks for that.
    @BYS1981‌
    Thank you brother.
    Here is a shot of it complete. I pulled when the internal hit 123 on the Thermapen. I like my lamb a little rare.
    It's the carnivore in me.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    I always pull my lamb in the 120's. I like it fairly rare. How about you?

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    We both like it rare.  Almost burnt on the outside and blue on the in.   That looks perfect.
    @nolaegghead‌
    Thank you brother. Other than poultry I prefer all meats rare. Even fish.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    edited June 2014
    Same here.  Except duck MR.

Edit - pork tenderloin and loin MR. 
    Looks great! Direct or raised direct around 400 has been working great for me. I bet you're happy with how they turned out.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    The meat turned out excellent. I cooked it raised direct at gasket level. After about 12 minutes I had to drop the temp from 400 to 325 to avoid scorching. Next time I will load the fire box a little shallower and try 400 again. This should let me run in the 400 arena without issues.
    Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Beautiful money shots @SGH!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nice, crusty outside, juicy inside, bet they tasted as good as they look!
    canuckland
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Ewe nailed it friend. Doesn't look baaaaaad from here.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    looks great from here, i always cook lamb direct. years ago when camping everyone would bring hamburgers and hot dogs and i would show up with a lamb leg and toss it right into the camp fire, get the outside burning and roll it out onto a flat rock and slow roast it. really freaked some people out
    :))  it doest get much better than good lamb charred black and blue, so sweet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Looks great, lamb must be rare IMHO otherwise it gets a little gamey tasting.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SGH
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ @HDumptyEsq‌ @Canugghead‌ @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    Thank you for both the kind words and compliments my friends.
    @fishlessman‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. I just never have liked any meat charred excessively. Not even lamb. I do like a little char but not much. Again thanks to all.

Status- Standing by.