Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime rib question for Cowboy day.

Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got about 3 lb. boneless prime rib for the game today along with shrimp.
I haven't cooked a prime rib for qite some time. A little help please.
EVOO coated with cowlick. Then need cooking temps, direct or indirect?[p]Mike

·

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,329
    Howdy Mike
    I've seen so many different ways. My team mate Hatch makes the best prime rib I've had. Basically olive oil, CL, and a Trex. Direct, Heavy sear, short rest, then roast at 350 or 400 to 125 and rest again. You could roast it direct if you get your fire tame enough, otherwise just set up a quick indirect after the sear. You could also have another egg set up indirect for the roasting.[p]Like I said, a hundred ways, but Hatch's is the best I've had.[p]Do me a favor, and beat those Cowboys today....okay??
    Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
    Sandbagger,
    The rivalry is BACK my friend!! LOL.[p]So sweet to see the Injuns beat yall last time with a cupla long passes at the end....just like you always did to us back in the ol' days! LOL.[p]Here is to the teams in RED today!
    Heee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    I have used this http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html recipe for several prime ribs and always had great results.
    This is a 14 pounder I did the weekend after thanksgiving, just squeezed on to the Large BGE.

P1010004.jpg

I cooked it at 357 to a temp of 115 and it came out excellent!

P1010001A.jpg

Cooked inderect with 4 chunks of Guava wood. I wa amazed that it only took 2 hours and 45 minutes, I was planning on more like 4? Oh well, it was a great meal!
    ·
  • BigTBigT Posts: 385
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Prime rib AND you get to see the Chiefs?[p]Lucky man.[p]I'm stuck with watching the Toilet Bowl (Texans @ Titans) and eating someone else's chili.[p]C'mon Draft 2006![p]Big T

·
  • Nature Boy,
    I will get that a try. I've never rested after searing, about 20 minutes?[p]I like our chances today. [p]Mike

·
  • Big T,
    Chiefs season tics since 1981. Reggie Bush is going to make someone very happy.[p]Mike

·
    Car Wash Mike,
    Oops. Missed your post.
    10, 15 20 minutes whatever. Just while you get your cooker calmed down for the roasting.[p]I liked your chances too. Too bad you let them pesky cowboys get the best of yall!
    Cheers mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·