Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Ball Pizza Dough and Shape Pizza

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've seen quite a few pizza threads lately and wanted to post these links for those of you who haven't yet tried it. I found these two Tony Gemignani videos very helpful and thought some of you who are not yet familiar with the techniques might fine them useful as well.

Balling dough is a necessary skill whether you make your own dough or buy a bag of it from the grocery store or pizza shop. If you start with a round dough ball, you are almost certain to wind up with a round pizza. As if round tastes somehow better. :) Divide your dough into the portion size you prefer and ball it like this. 

Then refrigerate in individual containers or larger, multiple ball proofing trays. I use these 6 cup tubs, one per ball.

IMPORTANT... Remove the dough ball from the fridge about two hours before forming the pizza. Otherwise, when you try to stretch it, it will snap back like a rubber band.

When it's time to shape the pie, follow these directions. I don't dip the dough in the flour/semolina mix as he demonstrates, just dust the dough ball with flour. I find the "back of the knuckles" method to be the easiest. He also demonstrates the use of a rolling pin starting at 4:17. You can stop watching then. 
:D

I hope some of you find this helpful. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Very good information.  I really need to practice more. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Now see, he gotta show off around spinning it and stuff!  Lol.. I would love to be able to do that. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • divecj5
    divecj5 Posts: 18
    Very informative.  Thanks for sharing!
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Great videos,Thanks, I need to practice!
  • Carolina Q
    Here's another balling/shaping video that I had bookmarked but forgot about. At the end, he stacks two dough rounds and shapes two pies at once. For those of you who cook multiple pies.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Carolina Q‌ Michael man I dunno pinching balls and making butt cheeks and then spanking it. Ok if that's what has to be done for a great pizza. Dude this thing could go South by midnight...I'm just saying. >:)
    And to be honest I do it like Tony Gemignani and it works perfectly.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Carolina Q‌ thanks! Time for a Pizza Party!
    Pizza Song: Pizza Party! (Official Music Video) -…: http://youtu.be/nC1igL7Y0VY
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    LOL. Yeah, I wondered where the butt cheeks might go. Then again, around here we deal in butts, breasts and thighs every day without incident. Eh?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL

LOL. Yeah, I wondered where the butt cheeks might go. Then again, around here we deal in butts, breasts and thighs every day without incident. Eh?

And then I had to nastify it. Sorry man. I'm a bad boy. Guess I need spanked like a dough ball.
    :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Re "pizza party"... can i have my 15 seconds back? That's all I could take.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    The hits keep on coming @Carolina Q‌ :-)
    Armpit sweat for pizza dough-throwing contest: http://youtu.be/k6KoiQiZqes
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Ok one last one and I promise I'm done (ok probably not :) ). Edited.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Thanks for the links @Carolina Q‌ I was just picking up some pizza at Papa John's on Wednesday and it was empty, so instead of waiting in the truck, I watched the pizza man stretch dough. Funny how simple things(not that I think stretching/tossing pizza dough is simple) fascinate us humans. I just couldn't believe how easy he made it look. I ask him a few questions on the art of making it round. He told me that the secret is making a bead than stretch or toss from there. Looked similar to the videos above. He didn't mention anything about the balling, but I did notice he started with what seemed to be perfect dough balls. This is getting funnier and funnier as I type because I know @NPHuskerFL‌ is already starting his ballin' jokes. But in all seriousness, this is an area I definitely need practice. Thanks
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    @stemc33‌ if your dough ball is anything but round and tight you won't be getting that picture perfect round pie. After you've made a few dough balls it becomes easier.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Thanks for sharing! 

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA