Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help!

I will be cooking a pork shoulder and chuck roast at the same time on my LBGE with two tier grate.  Which piece of meat should go on top?

Thanks for your input!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Chuck roast IMHO
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I would put the beef on top, the shoulder will have a lot more fat dripping.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I say pork.  Pork fat is good on everything.  That's why every 3rd cook on this forum is wrapped in bacon.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i always but the pork above brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Pork on top always...like stated pork fat makes everything better.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    +3 ... Pork on top. Pork fat is a terrible thing to waste.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I like it @cowdogs great analogy, I change my opinion.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    My take on it is the pork fat dripping down will make your beef taste like pork, also damage bark. If you don't mind beef that tastes like pork (not bad necessarily) and don't need nice bark (its not brisket after all) then sure, put the pork on top.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never done this, and probably never will. But a pork butt drips A LOT OF FAT. Having that all over a chuck roast (or anything else) sound HORRIBLE!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2014

I've never done this, and probably never will. But a pork butt drips A LOT OF FAT. Having that all over a chuck roast (or anything else) sound HORRIBLE!

Why you no like bacony goodness?
  • DMW
    Hmm I'm not sure pork butt drippings=bacon flavor...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    DMW said:
    Hmm I'm not sure pork butt drippings=bacon flavor...
    No kidding! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Pork fat is actually pretty neutral in flavor ... hence the use of lard in pie crust and biscuits***.   Most of the flavor of the dripping will be from whatever rub you put on the butts.  

It may sound horrible, but it tastes fine.  The BGE has a small cooking chamber, and sometimes you have to stack meats.  This is going to affect the bark of whatever you put on the bottom.  

*** yes we know modern supermarket lard is purified to the point it has nearly no flavor, but this was not always the case.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2014
    If you are going to wrap the chuckie I would put it on at 250-260 and wrap at 160ish them crank the egg to 350 and put the shoulder on with the beef. This should give the beef about a 2hr of FTC while the pork is finishing and you really don't need a rest for pork but the beef really benefits from a rest.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.