Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the excitement ever go away

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Does the excitement ever end for big cooks? Some of you have several thousand post and am just wondering if you still get precook jitters or the adrenaline rush as your prepping brisket or pork butts? Doing my first double pork butt on the LBGE. So much to think about like will they fit, when should I start the Egg, will it be done in time for the party, is trying a home made coffee rub for the first time a good decision when others will be eating your food, temp control. And the thoughts go on and on. Making tons of progress in my rookie Egg year and am cooking stuff I never that I could, but I still get all jacked when Egging something new.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• EAT
    EAT Posts: 39
    It never goes away!, I'm in prep mode for low and slow Brisket right now, and Im with the adrenaline rush, rub decision about to be made !!!
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Love the big cooks. You'll be a lot more comfortable a year from now. Comfort = confidence = good cooks. Just add fun as first one though!
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Great question! As for my answer, you will gain more confidence as time goes on. But please don't think you have learned all there is to learn! Don't be afraid to try new recipes, new procedures and methods. And don't be so proud to not ask for help!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I still get excited too after a year. 

I ponder the following: 

Meat selection, remembering my last cook and what adjustments I want to incorporate, deciding on rub, adjustable rig set-up, trimming meat, cleaning up the kitchen (the 2 parts I hate most), cleaning out the egg, deciding best smoke wood for the application, loading pit and deciding on pit temp, setting up the maverick. 

I have fun each cook. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Nope - never goes away. Each cook is different and each meat has different behavior so continuing to learn things every day.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yep! Wore off after the first year. I usually think about what I'm going to do the day before and just execute on the cook day. The excitement comes when I see the reaction of my family or friend's faces.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    I hope it never goes away, I love the feeling when I do anything with my Egg! That includes shopping for food, making rubs, reading the forum, cooking, eating, I love my Egg and this forum!

Thanks Everyone, Ktim.
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    My problem is....I research the crap out of techniques, rubs, sauces, temps etc....finally decide on a game plan....and then second guess myself during the entire cook. I enjoy the heck out of it but when the meat comes off the Egg I'm done. Ive done pulled pork before, got it shredded, tasted one piece of bark, and then walked away from it.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I don't get as excited over repeat cooks, although I still enjoy cooking butts and briskets, burgers and steaks, deep dish pizza, desserts, etc.. I do still get excited and enjoy cooking something new on the Egg. After a couple years, there is still a lot to learn and get excited about cooking. Heck, Trying a new lump (Rockwood and OO next) still keeps me interested. And I recently got an AR, so a lot of new learning coming.
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    I can echo @GATABITES‌ and say I have gotten much better at containing my production in the kitchen and getting it cleaned up as I cook. SWMBO was a little nervous I think on the first few big ones that her kitchen was going to be a disaster zone any time the egg was a smokin'

To echo @cazzy‌ I am less concerned during the cook which also adds quite a bit of enjoyment during the process!
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I've only been messing around with BBQ for about 10 years now, and this will be my 3rd year with the egg, and I have to admit that planning and prepping for a good meal is still a lot of fun for me. My wife absolutely loves it because she can relax and watch me work.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    @travisstrick‌ Amen brother!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Just when you think you might have those feelings under control, you go and buy an AR or pit controller. It never ends.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    My 4 year old asked me about 25 questions while I was making rub, prepping ribs, and getting the grill ready.  I didn't mind a bit.  I love Saturdays with the egg and the family outside. I get excited each time I use the grill. 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    The thrill keeps going and going. Enjoy!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Here's an example.  I enjoy going to the gun range, hanging out with the group, and shooting trap.  I scarcely ever go now; I'm just too content on my back porch with my Egg and cigars.  Indeed, the thrill keeps going.
    Kemah, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    jllbms said:

Here's an example.  I enjoy going to the gun range, hanging out with the group, and shooting trap.  I scarcely ever go now; I'm just too content on my back porch with my Egg and cigars.  Indeed, the thrill keeps going.

Cigars...Did @hapster‌ get you going on cigars with egging or did you get him started? Coincidence?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Some things just seem self evident, like the calculus - was it Newton or Leibniz who discovered it? Somebody was bound to!
    Kemah, TX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    cazzy said:

Yep! Wore off after the first year. I usually think about what I'm going to do the day before and just execute on the cook day. The excitement comes when I see the reaction of my family or friend's faces.

One of the Vikings players is an egghead, I believe it was Vikings..