Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey you Carolina folks

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum

I'm doing some pulled port this weekend, and I need a good recipe for some vinegar slaw.  I haven't really found anything on the web that's exactly what I want.  And while you're at it, if you have a recipe for your favorite BBQ sauce, Carolina (any) style, I would appreciate that too.  TIA

Ready, go!!

NOLA

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Have you checked out Elder Ward's tome on pulled pork?  Elder Ward Pulled Port
    The Naked Whiz
  • buzd504
    Options
  • buzd504
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Eastern NC Sauce 

Except for the cayenne, which I added, this recipe is from the cookbook that came with my Weber kettle back in the early 80's. It's so close to Elder Ward's recipe, I have to wonder if that's where HE got it. Same with his rub - almost identical.

1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2 tbls sugar
    1 1/2 tble red pepper flakes
    1 1/2 tbs bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 1/2 tbls cayenne (can use less, or none)
    s&p to taste

THIS is some good stuff! Almost identical taste!

I made this the other day, left out part of the sugar and it was still much too sweet for my taste!! When I called the Skylight the other day, I mentioned that I had mixed up a batch and thought it was WAY too sweet. He said it was SUPPOSED to be real sweet! It's actually not bad on a barbecue, but next time, I will reduce the sugar even more.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    Options
    Thanks all, this has all been really helpful, even if I can't seem to post in the thread. 

keep 'em coming.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's a cook from Smokinpig where he tried to replicate the Lexington style pork and slaw. Looks near perfect to me!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

BBQ Red Slaw

1 cabbage head cored and hand grated or run through a grinder (roughly 2 pounds)

1/2 cup ketchup (again hunts)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon iodized salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine all dry ingredients on the cabbage, mix and let sit 20 minutes. Add the wet ingredients and mix, refrigerate covered for at least one hour before serving. It is best to let it set up overnight.

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Lexington Dip Sauce, makes one gallon

2 cups cider vinegar (4% if you can find it)

2 cups ketchup (recommend hunts brand for authenticity)

12 cups of water

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon iodized salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine ingredients wet then dry in a pot and whisk while bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Maurice was a bit of a... well, I'll just say he was an interesting fellow. :) But his Q, and even that yellow stuff he calls BBQ sauce, is actually pretty good!  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    If you really want to go authentic, chop your BBQ and don't call it pulled pork!  Two cleavers and a chopping block will do. 
    :))
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2014
    Options

If you really want to go authentic, chop your BBQ and don't call it pulled pork!  Two cleavers and a chopping block will do. 
    :))
    You know, it's interesting how few on here seem to do that. I'm guilty of not chopping sometimes, just because it flies all over the place. I did it the other day with a reheat though. MUCH better!! I have two cleavers, but only used one. :)

Bad pic, but...

Edit... WOW!! This pic is worse than I thought! Oh well.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options

I favor the chop. I probably lean toward a course chop. I just got a 8 inch cleaver to try out for the 4th.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Carolina Q  There is an art to chopping.  I am not great at it and find my self pulling it most times. 

When I get BBQ from the place I enjoy going to in town, I like a coarse chop white side.  Little more lean meat to me. 

The sandwiches look good brother.  Hold that phone steady now. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Maurice was a bit of a... well, I'll just say he was an interesting fellow. :) But his Q, and even that yellow stuff he calls BBQ sauce, is actually pretty good!  :))
    Interesting? Horrible racist yes, interesting no.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    It was supposed to be a euphemism. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    It was supposed to be a euphemism. 
    I realize that. No offense intended. The other brother's sauces are much better. Especially Thomas' stuff.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    None taken. It was some time after I had Q from Piggie Park that I learned anything about Maurice himself. I guess "interesting" was a poor choice of words. .Don't know anything about the rest of the family.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    None taken. It was some time after I had Q from Piggie Park that I learned anything about Maurice himself. I guess "interesting" was a poor choice of words. .Don't know anything about the rest of the family.
    They're all located in and around Charleston. Joe Jr., Robert, Melvin, and Thomas. Thomas' is my favorite rub and sauce outside of Eastern style.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    This is a sauce that my family likes pretty good. I have even reduced the vinegar and added more molasses to make it thicker for chicken and ribs. I also reduced the crushed pepper by half and added black pepper in its place.

More of a Western NC style. Thicker, but still pretty thin.
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar.

• buzd504
    Options
    Thanks!!  All great info here.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have that same recipe. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's some in my fridge right now. It's actually quite good, especially with reheated pork. It masks the "reheatedness" a bit better. :)  

I never post it cuz it's an Emeril! Lagasse  recipe! 
    =))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I like a mustard style sauce too. We have one around called Carolina Treat. It's really good on chicken.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Here's my Eastern NC sauce for pork.

I know it has a little ketchup which is not traditional in Eastern NC sauce, but in this recipe it replaces sugar and adds some thickener to make the sauce a little sticker.

2 cups Cider Vinegar

1/2 cup Ketchup
    1 t Salt
    2 t Red Pepper Flakes
    1 T Sugar
    1 t Black Pepper
    1/2 t Onion Powder
    1/2 t Garlic Powder

Whisk together to dissolve sugar & Ketchup
    Bring to simmer, turn off, and let sit as long as you can
    Adjust seasonings for Salt/Sweetness
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    Carolina Crazy:  No self-respecting Eastern North Carolinian would ever put ketchup in their Eastern NC sauce for BBQ. :D
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Carolina Crazy:  No self-respecting Eastern North Carolinian would ever put ketchup in their Eastern NC sauce for BBQ. :D

So much this. Dat be Lexington style wit da red stuff.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wars have been fought over less...
    edited June 2014
    Options

Jeremiah said:

Interesting? Horrible racist yes, interesting no.

I figured that would have started something.

:D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.