Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy rust repair of cast iron??

I don't use cast iron in my cooking anymore (have carbon steel and copper pans now for those functions), but I have an old "beater" cast iron skillet in my garage that I would like to repurpose for my BGE by cutting off the handle.  However, it has a decent amount of rust on it at this point.

Is there an easy way to fix the CI and get it back to "cookable" condition?  I don't need non-stick at all for this.  I just need it to be such that it's a clean and safe surface to cook on and it won't easily rust when stored away.

Of course, the other option is to just toss this one and buy new since they are cheap.  That's why the solution needs to be quick and easy - the barrier to (re)entry via new is not very high.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    No reason to toss it, it really never goes bad, and it might be a really good piece of iron.   I would give it a good work over with plain old steel wool, rinse with water, dry, and rub down with oil (Crisco, Canola, etc).  If you want to re-season, put it in the oven at 300 for an hour.  There are lots of YouTube videos on recovering old cast iron if you want to watch.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited June 2014
    Agreed, do not throw it out. Recondition and get it back in action. I used easy off oven cleaner on my old stuff to strip it and then re season it. Spray with easy off, tuck away into a trash bag and twist it closed so it stays wet then wait 24 hours to scrub with steel wool. Repeat as needed and then re season. No reason to waste money on something you already have. Save it for meat!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Just give it a vinegar bath if it's only a light coating of rust.

If it's worse, then the oven cleaner (lye) is a better option.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I had a pretty grimy one a while back - gave it to my Dad and he took it to his shop & sandblasted it

Came back looking better than I've ever seen it (it was my Grandmother's before my Father's, then Mine).  Gave it a little oil and put it in the oven to season & done!
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    You're missing out on something good by not cooking on a well seasoned CI cookware. 

Anywho... You can place in your oven and do a cleaning cycle.  Then re-season. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I agree with using the oven cleaner method, then several heat and oiling cycles. I've restored plenty of cast iron gems doing this.  I pretty much mirrored The Pan Man technique.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I like David (Panman). Nice guy, very helpful and quick to return emails. Seems to know what he's talking about too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Ok, after reading just a bit, the cost of supplies essentially equals the cost of a new flat skillet on Amazon ($15) and that's before taking into consideration my time.  Gonna have to go new with this one, but thanks for the info.

I'll save the old ones and if I ever have a need for a can of oven cleaner, I'll clean them up.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    If your anywhere near Northern Virginia I will come take them off your hands! :D
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just hit it with some sandpaper, give it a good scrubbing and put some oil on it.  If you can't sand all the rust off of it easily, buy a new one.  If this was a Griswold it would be very bad advice if you wanted to preserve the value of the CI.  You just want something to cook on.
    I will buy it off you and will gladly clean it.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Sometimes those beaters are diamonds in the rough.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    cssmd27 said:
    Ok, after reading just a bit, the cost of supplies essentially equals the cost of a new flat skillet on Amazon ($15) and that's before taking into consideration my time.  Gonna have to go new with this one, but thanks for the info.

I'll save the old ones and if I ever have a need for a can of oven cleaner, I'll clean them up.
    If you don't want to do the work to restore, because buying a new one is cheaper, why not donate it to someone that loves to restore old CI.  There are plenty of us willing to take it off your hands if you don't want it.  I do beg of you not to throw it out in the trash.  It deserves a 2nd chance instead of becoming landfill.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tarheelmatt
    edited June 2014
    IMO, throwing it out is plain wrong and hurts me....  I would take the CI over the carbon steel and copper any day!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just hit it with some sandpaper, give it a good scrubbing and put some oil on it.  If you can't sand all the rust off of it easily, buy a new one.  If this was a Griswold it would be very bad advice if you wanted to preserve the value of the CI.  You just want something to cook on.
    nola gets it!  These aren't heirlooms, I just want it for searing meat, but still on the Egg.

Guys, I didn't mean to start any kind of debate about cookware types or whether they could be restored.  It's just not worth my time compared to the replacement cost.  I'm not tossing them at this point, but I'm not going to mess with restoring.

For those that said they wanted them before I considered tossing them, I'm in Dallas and you'd be welcome to them.  Just shoot me a PM.  Shipping would probably cost the same as a new one, so not worth it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!