Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Place Setter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After cooking a deboned turkey tommorrow using the place setter (or is it plate setter) i want to directly cook some wings. Can you remove a hot place setter? If so, how? Thanks.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    You can remove it with some open mitts and a good plan. It is hot and will seep through the mitts in short order so have a clean place to set (not throw) it down. I also have a glove out of some type of silicone rubber which keeps the heat away a bit longer. It can be done, but do be careful.
  • Snowman
    Options
    DannyT,
    Just use an old towel, pot holders, or some thick leather gloves like welding gloves.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    DannyT,
    Yes it is PLATE setter. They are used in ceramics to fire plates in the kiln, thus the name. You can certainly remove them, just make sure you have some heavy pot holders or something like that. It will be hot and stay hot for a while. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    DannyT,
    Yep!, Its Plate Sitter! "not" place. It was introduced years ago by Spin? I think. It is used in a ceramic kiln and he figured it was ok to use it in an Egg, due to it being made for extra high temp firings in a ceramic kiln.[p]Now, for picking up hot stuff, try these. They are sorta clumsy until you get used to them, but they do work really well.[p]I use them on all pulled pork, turkeys, chicken, etc.[p]later,
    ron.

[ul][li]orca mitts[/ul]
  • DannyT,
    Do you find egging wings direct better than inderect?[p]Jerry

• Snowman,[p]I know this sounds obvious, but you would be amazed at the people who lay them down on a flamable surface or in the reach of their kids or pets...! I put mine on the grate of my old weber kettle grill and put the lid over it.[p] Also, I use heavy leather welding gloves to move it.

• Jwirlwind, sorry for the delay. As for wings, I have only done the direct on the egg, they have always come out out fine. Maybe next time I will try them indirect.