Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza or baking stone with no Plate setter?

Has anyone cooked Pizza without a plate setter? 

I was thinking about trying this by raising the stone up to the top of my raised grid - putting it about 4" above the felt line. That would put it 12-14" above the direct coals and would let me get the stone really hot.

It would greatly speed the heating of the stone, but I expect the direct heat might be too much for the stone.

How about with a steel?

Any success (or failure) with this?

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've seen a few people try this and the end result is the incineration of the bottom of the pie.   If you lower the temp so the bottom doesn't burn, then the top never cooks.  You could probably get away with two stones stacked and no plate setter, maybe with an air gap between.
    edited June 2014
    one stone high in the dome for thin crust pizza works for me.......temps as package says - 450ish.  I use a 16" stone.   even burning lump to direct an even plume of heat to the stone.........t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ok, I stand corrected.
    Chris Lilly's latest book he talks about cooking with just a stone and no "heat shield".  I always use a plate setter tho.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    I do pizza with only a stone - raised high in the dome using CGS Adjustable Rig at the top / highest setting.

Turns out GREAT!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Not sure about going high in the dome, but I once forgot to put in the PS for pizza - just used a stone on normal grid - and while the top of the pizza was beautiful, the bottom was a charred, inedible mess.  

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I just made a couple of pizzas that were up in the dome on an AR... I did have a drip pan about 3 or 4" below the stone and it worked great. No platesetter. Cooked at 550.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR