Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briquets for the egg?

Options
Just saw this yesterday at my local Costco. Seems like they're starting to recognize a charcoal market niche for the egg or as they called it "ceramic cookers." Anyone ever ventured out and used briquets for the egg?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    If they're briquettes, then there has to be some sort of binder which will just create more ash. Trader Joes has a "natural lumpwood briquette" too. Having tried it once, I'd stay away.
    Mamaroneck
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yep, more ash.  I've cooked on my egg using briquettes and as far as the flavor goes it's fine - there's all kinds of quality differences with briquettes just like there is lump.  If you're out of lump or can't find any, better to egg with briquettes than not egg at all.
    Options
    I've used it, nothing wrong with it. I love kingsford competition. I keep it around for my other cookers, and it's been in my kamados before too.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    The two people that I know who frequently use Kingsford in kamados both are using Komodo kamados which use wide fire grates (like HiQue) and have deeper bases with more room for ash. 

The Kingsford Competition burns hot and I guess because of the briquette density, it seems harder to slow down or keep the temp down once it gets going, so definitely keep an eye on your temps as you are preheating. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This