Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fogo Lump - Awful

Just wondering what everyone's experience here has been with Fogo.  I bought a bag from Amazon recently and it's been the worst lump I've ever used.  By a landslide actually.  Takes ages to light... I mean forever.  Then when you finally do get it to light it sparks like crazy.  Looks like fireworks are going off.  Plus the chunks are comically big and have to be broken up with a hammer.  The reviews on Amazon are great, and I feel like I've heard people here say it's good stuff, so I don't know if I just got a weird bag, but I dislike it so much I'm not going to finish it.  Anyway, what have your experiences been like?
Southern California

Comments

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I will be anxious to see other's responses.  I have been close to ordering a bag of Fogo, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'll keep an eye on this thread to help me decide.  (Sorry, I can't offer an opinion to help you out.)
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • dconder
    dconder Posts: 12

I bought 3 bags from Amazon myself.  I haven't had any sparking issues and it lights right up using half a weber cube for me.  The pieces are huge but for me work well.  I can use just a few big chunks for hot and fast cooks.  I'm down to a little over a bag left and I would certainly order more.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    searched the Fogo Amazon reviews for "egghead" and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1E6NRHZQW0D7D/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1
    I really like it.  I don't have a problem lighting it, and I would rather have big pieces than small ones. 

It's a little more soft and sooty (messy when handled), but that doesn't bother me much either.  I find it doesn't produce much ash, is reasonably neutral and will burn for a long time.
    NOLA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I love it. You are welcome to send the rest of the bag to me. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Have u tried Cowboy....
    Seattle, WA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Rockwood!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Get some Ozark or Rockwood. Nothing compares to them.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Figured you had rocks in it....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I'm with @PNWFoodie‌ - send it to me!! I've been very happy with Fogo. I've used 4 bags, and although the pieces can be large, they are fully carbonized. Totally usable when broken up with the hammer I now keep at the ready. Lighting is easy with the Map weed torch. Relighting is easy as well. I was originally only going to use it for low and slow, but use it exclusively now. Long lasting, burns hot, low ash. Very smoke neutral, ready to cook with quickly. Free 2 day delivery with Amazon Prime. Arrives well packed, and intact. Good stuff!!! I'm not a RO basher - it is good stuff, although it is much smokier, and takes longer to be ready to cook. I think Fogo is much better. I'd love to use Rockwood or OO, but haven't found it here in CA. I can't compare those to Fogo, I've not used them.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have gone through hundreds of pounds of OO and a couple bags of Rockwood and will take FOGO any day for a low and slow. It works great for fast cooks as well but does take a minute or 2 longer to light than other brands. Nothing against OO or Rockwood but fogo is every bit as good if not better and cheaper (unless you live near Arkansas for OO) and delivered to my door. I have personally went through 3-400 pounds of fogo in the last 12 months and never had anything negative to say. The pieces are huge but there's no reason to break them down they will not stop airflow like amall pieces. I have never seen fogo spark at all unless you are holding a torch or heat gun directly to it then all lump will spark. A tip if you don't like th ehuge pieces I got several bags of the 17.6 pounders when the 35 pounders were out of stock and the pieces were smaller overall but not bad small.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I tried ordering 4 bags from amazon, but for some reason, they wouldn't ship it to Alberta.
    GWN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    FWIW, sparking is not necessarily the brand/manufacturer's fault. I have found with several brands, that the lump sparks more if I am using a bag that was previously opened and left on the patio vs. a fresh bag from the pile in the garage. I attribute this to it being more humid outdoors than in the garage.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    I agree with the group on Fogo. I ordered two bags from Amazon and have not had problems. Lights quickly, and worked great for 250 and 600+. Might be a bad batch??
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Nanook said:
    I tried ordering 4 bags from amazon, but for some reason, they wouldn't ship it to Alberta.
    Yeah, they won't ship it to Alaska, either.  (not surprised, tho)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Interesting.  People here seem to have really favorable opinions.  Though that one review @nolaegghead linked seems in line with my experience.  I think I must have gotten a bad bag.  The sparking is just insane.  One of you mentioned Cowboy.  I've tried Cowboy.  The sparking from this bag of Fogo makes Cowboy look positively staid.  Seriously.  I wasn't kidding when I said it's like the 4th of July.  Last night, I had the dome open to let the coals catch a bit.  I went inside and a couple minutes later, from inside the house, I heard very intense crackling.  I rushed out because I was worried something had caught fire.  Turns out it was just the lump exploding with electric showers.  It's just awful stuff.  Maybe not reflective of the typical Fogo lump, but I'm not going to order another bag to find out.
    Southern California
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    It sucks. Never again!
    Kemah, TX
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    I'm working through my first bag of Fogo and so far really like it. No sparking, not much ash and burns a long time. I was expecting bigger pieces because of some reviews but mine are smaller than a hardball. It also seems to have less smokey smell. Don't blame for not wanting to try again though.
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    I have found with charcoal that you get a bad bag from time to time.  Royal Oak is sold here and that is what I go with because of convienence.  The last bag I bought was great.  The one before it was horrible.  All small pieces. 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I love Fogo..I combine Fogo and Rockwood..This works for me..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774

I love Fogo..I combine Fogo and Rockwood..This works for me..
    Just wondering if you love it so much why do you mix it?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    The reason I mix is that I like the large Fogo pieces which I place around the vents and then mix with Rockwood..This works great for me on both low and slows and fast cooks..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Ok. Was just wondering as i have never used it. I mostly us oo but do have 3 bags of rockwood I'm going to try soon (if I can ever get time off work)
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa