Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whats the the right final temperature for a brisket

traif boy
traif boy Posts: 20
Most of the information I see is that a brisket is pulled of the grill around 195-200. Once in awhile is see websites like the Salt lick in Dallas (very famous), pulling brisket at 165. I see the 165 number on several sites as well.  Some sites will say 165 to do Texas crutch and put back on grill, However seen sites actually say pull brisket and foil and put into cooler at 165. Looking for guidance

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254

Most pull when the thermometer inserts into the thickest part of the flat without any resistance. This can be anywhere as low as 185 and as high as 205. The meat has a mind of its own.  165 seems  low to be finished for brisket, so I would guess that they pull it, wrap it, then finish it back on the smoker...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Chris summed it up perfectly.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I usually pull around 200-205 but as Chris said, need to insert thermo and see whether it sticks in without any resistance. That's when I pulled it - if not, I let it ride some more.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I think the 165 is when it is pulled to be wrapped in foil. That is the temperature i pull to wrap in foil and pull at 207...like butter
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Each brisket is going to be different. Its more of a feel than an absolute correct temp. I've had them done anywhere in the 195-205 range.

Salt Lick is in Driftwood, Texas outside of Austin, not Dallas and I wouldn't trust anything those gas fired pit users say about brisket. Yes. Gas fired. Those nice pits you see in all those pictures of are where they display their meat after its done cooking. They don't cook from start to finish on there. And I've sent brisket back the two times I've gone there, FYI.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings