Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Skylight Inn, Ayden NC - The Movie

Options
Many long years ago, back in the days when I was too young to appreciate good Q, I lived right down the road from this place. Very well known now, but I never heard of it until years later and so, have never been there. Next trip to eastern NC will definitely include a stop in Ayden!! Saturated fat and sodium restrictions be damned!

GREAT video!! A lot to be learned here!

And, BTW, the opening scene in this vid is how you're SUPPOSED to "pull" pork. :) When you're done, it looks like this...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Didn't watch the video; I assume that's cole slaw on the pulled pork sammie? I've always put my slaw on the top. Maybe I've been doing it wrong?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Me too. I think their pic is upside down! Better?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Got some motivation from this video so I went out in the back yard this morning and lopped off a couple of oak branches. Red oak, but that's all I have. Cut it up on the band saw and, with 10 lbs of chunks, I'm now ready for my next butt/shoulder. Thinking about s&p only, rather than my usual homebrew rub. Also considering one butt, one picnic to blend together. I've never done it that way.

I have an Alton Brown type smoker from my pre-egg days. Electric hot plate in a flower pot. I'm tempted to use it for this cook. Just because I'd like to try smoking the pork with oak smoke only, rather than mixing it in with the charcoal "flavor". Might even put the hot plate in the egg instead of the flower pot. Easier temp control and a better dome thermo. My very own electric egg!! 
    :D

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Thank you Carolina Q. I agree with you 100%. That is what BBQ is all about and what I grew up with.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I love me some carolina Q ha ha, East or west I will take it. That is my current quest I am working on a eastern version without using the whole pig. I am thinking of trying a butt and a ham and then the slaw.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    I love me some carolina Q ha ha, East or west I will take it. That is my current quest I am working on a eastern version without using the whole pig. I am thinking of trying a butt and a ham and then the slaw.
    Go to a butcher and get the whole front leg(shoulder and hock) with skin on.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    @Carolina Q Thanks for posting I just told my wife we have a road trip to do..Loved that video..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BGEXL_Nick
    BGEXL_Nick Posts: 88
    Options
    I still want to try some of theirs when its fresh.  A friend from Ayden brought some to a competition once and the bits of skin didn't reheat well.  Still loved the flavor and their slaw is good as well.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    There are so many good BBQ places here in eastern NC. More pigs than people here in Cackalacky. I haven't been to Skylight Inn, though I just saw them listed on some site as one of the top 10 BBQ places in the country and want to get out there. 

For me WIlbur's in Goldsboro and Allen & Sons, just up the road here in Hillsborough, are top of the heap. Everyone has their favorite and few are bad.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I am moving daughter to teach in Kinston next month.  Looks close.  I a, definitely going to go there!
    Looks like a unique place!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    kdink said:
    I am moving daughter to teach in Kinston next month.  Looks close.  I a, definitely going to go there!
    Looks like a unique place!
    Also, Bill's or Parker's in Wilson, Wilber's in Goldsboro and B's in Greenville are all supposed to be good. I hear B's tends to sell out and close early though. Been to Wilber's a couple of times, but I have only heard about the others. I wanna try B's and the Skylight!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, great video.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Great Video..SO then the forum handle "Carolina Q" was made
  • AppStateDDS
    AppStateDDS Posts: 100
    Options
    Did the NC BBQ Society boot camp at Sugar Mountain last July and Sam Jones from Skylight Inn was one of the pitmasters presenting, and he cooked the whole hog there. Nice guy, down to earth, and made some good food - that pig skin is awesome!!
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Great Video..SO then the forum handle "Carolina Q" was made
    I lived in NC for several years and my inlaws lived there so even after I left, I spent a lotta time there. But the handle is cuz I like their Q. :) When you say the word barbecue to me, this stuff is what I think of. Not brisket, not chicken, not a cooker of some sort and not a process... just what you see in this vid. It IS barbecue.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    Options
    I am right with you Michael.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Did the NC BBQ Society boot camp at Sugar Mountain last July and Sam Jones from Skylight Inn was one of the pitmasters presenting, and he cooked the whole hog there. Nice guy, down to earth, and made some good food - that pig skin is awesome!!
    Short vid with Sam. Just put up 4 days ago. They told me about it when I called today.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    edited June 2014
    Options

The whole munchies video came out today.  Interesting to hear Sam talk at the end about possible other locations. I know there is often an impulse to franchise these local wonders these days, I hope it works out for them if that is the route they take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKwt1yxnJoo

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What is "pulled pork"?

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    @Carolina Q - Like you said, This is real Carolina BBQ - A whole hog we did for my brother's wedding 2 years ago. No cooker - a cinderblock pit, some oak burned down on piece of corrugated tin, and plenty of vinegar based sauce - and bunch of beer on ice.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I just bought a cleaver a few weeks ago, first test run will be next weekend for the 4th. Love that sound in a NC BBQ joint.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Carolina Q!  I am very proud to be a North Carolinian and proud of being from Lexington too. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Awesome video thanks for sharing!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    This place is awesome. Hearing thr chopping sound makes you want to buy cleavers. Drove down from nj went right past where the family was to go, worth the 9 hour trip! I'll be nice dad and bring the family back for lunch today.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ