Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

F$&@ng underbite!

Options
Bought new rings, got it set up, all's good. The second time I cook pizza, I have a half inch underbite. F me. If I knew for sure that a competitor brand didn't have this problem, I'd consider switching. I guess this weekend I'll be out wrestling with it again. #-o
Kemah, TX

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Did you ever measure your dome and base to see if they were out of round? If out then neither new bands or any kind of adjustment will ever resolve your problem.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I didn't measure, but I didn't have underbite before last night's cook. So I assume they're not out of round...
    Kemah, TX
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Is your egg stationery or are you moving it around using the handle?
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• jllbms
    Options
    Stationary.
    Kemah, TX
  • RRP
    Options
    jllbms said:
    I didn't measure, but I didn't have underbite before last night's cook. So I assume they're not out of round...

Sorry I had you confused with another person. BTW if you weren't having problems why did you replace your bands? Save the old ones by chance?
  • jllbms
    Options
    No, I HAD underbite and the old bands were definitely warped, so I replaced them to fix it. It was fixed for a couple of weeks.
    Kemah, TX
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'd suggest torquing it down, and then getting a cook on, while it's warm, say.. 200 or so, give the bands a little more tightening, you'll probably find they are loose.

Worked for me.

Then again, there's people on here who aren't smart enough, brave enough, or simply take the instructions for the gospel. Any numbers of reasons they are leery about doing so. I've heard of plenty of folks doing the same thing and having it fix their issue.

I took my whole dome, hinge assembly, the whole nine apart, started from scratch, installed new gasket, and got it all snugged up. Started a cook, noticed it moved back not long after. Got it fixed again, heated it up and gave it some more turns. It hasn't budged, and no issues with my dome.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I've watched that damn video 100 times and tried everything. Mine's a f'd up as last month's egg salad.  It still has and underbite and a leak on the right side. I give up. It is what it is. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • RRP
    Options
    Don't know what video you are talking about, but have you posted some pictures here and asked for specific advice? Don't flame me...I'm trying to help.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Where are you located?  If it happens to be in South Florida I'd be glad to stop by and help you fix it.  
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    RRP said:
    Don't know what video you are talking about, but have you posted some pictures here and asked for specific advice? Don't flame me...I'm trying to help.
    I have posted pictures of it and I've watched that 6-7 min video that does a great job of showing how to adjust it, but to no avail. Here is a pic of the right side that leaks. Thanks!

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Where are you located?  If it happens to be in South Florida I'd be glad to stop by and help you fix it.  
    Thanks for the offer. I'm in Sarasota. Where are you?
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    I had the same problem for 6 months. every time I cook pizza right around the 550 to 600 degree mark I would get a severe underbite. I put on gloves. .. went to the hinge and lifted up. Bands slid up. .. under bite disappeared. Had the wife hold the bands up. Tighten to snug. Until the bands don't slide down when you raise the lid. .. done. No issues since. Second set of bands because I thought the bands were the issue.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @jimreed777 that may be what I need to do. I think my hinge is loose a little. When it's warm next I'll go back there and crank the bands down.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have posted pictures of it and I've watched that 6-7 min video that does a great job of showing how to adjust it, but to no avail. Here is a pic of the right side that leaks. Thanks!

From that picture it appears the planes of your dome and base are not out of whack so it might be your gaskets. What do you have on there? OME crappy felt, or Nomex? Are the gaskets on both sides? Is there any burnt areas on the gaskets on that side? Escaping heat/smoke are a real giveaway. How much smoke are you talking about? Lots, some or wisps? Some people will counter with the statement that "your egg is a smoker..." BTW a single, thicker Rutland gasket might be your solution.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @RRP

Thanks for your input. I've got a Rutland on it...bottom only. It's not a ton of smoke on that side. That's why I'm sort of inclined to leave it alone. 

I've loosened the hinge and moved it forward with a cresent wrench but it goes back every single time. I'm at a loss but it's not the end of the world. 
  • Cowdogs
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    I am in Palm Beach County.  But I travel to Tampa every couple of months.  I'll message you next time I am coming through.

@jimreed777 is on the right track.  At least one band (and sometimes both bands) need to aligned right even with the very edge of the ceramic.  In other words the bottom band needs to be mounted as high as you can possibly can get it on the base ... and even all the way around the dome.  Do this with the top band loose.  Once the bottom band is really tight and even, align the top dome with the base, and then tighten the top band.  If the dome moves as you are tightening the top band, then stop, loosen it, and align the dome a bit too far in the opposite direction of the movement.  So if you're getting an under-bite as you tighten the top band, then start with dome in an over-bite position and let it come even as you tighten the top band.

And tighten those f'ing bands down.  And check them again every couple hours until they stop loosening.  It's not the bolts that are loosening, but as the band and bolts "settle in" they will need more tightening.

Hope this helps....
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm not taking this discussion to private as I want to air this in public...did I sell you that Rutland gasket? If so then please email me with your address since I don't keep my customer information and I will refund your money in full. A properly installed Rutland following the instructions I include with my gaskets sold should not leak after a few cooks. My word is my honor.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Cowdogs said:
    I am in Palm Beach County.  But I travel to Tampa every couple of months.  I'll message you next time I am coming through.

@jimreed777 is on the right track.  At least one band (and sometimes both bands) need to aligned right even with the very edge of the ceramic.  In other words the bottom band needs to be mounted as high as you can possibly can get it on the base ... and even all the way around the dome.  Do this with the top band loose.  Once the bottom band is really tight and even, align the top dome with the base, and then tighten the top band.  If the dome moves as you are tightening the top band, then stop, loosen it, and align the dome a bit too far in the opposite direction of the movement.  So if you're getting an under-bite as you tighten the top band, then start with dome in an over-bite position and let it come even as you tighten the top band.

And tighten those f'ing bands down.  And check them again every couple hours until they stop loosening.  It's not the bolts that are loosening, but as the band and bolts "settle in" they will need more tightening.

Hope this helps....
    That does help. From your description, it looks like I might need to be a little more patient with it and maybe adjust, while adjusting, even while heating up. Thanks for the help. 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm not taking this discussion to private as I want to air this in public...did I sell you that Rutland gasket? If so then please email me with your address since I don't keep my customer information and I will refund your money in full. A properly installed Rutland following the instructions I include with my gaskets sold should not leak after a few cooks. My word is my honor.
    No. I didn't get it through you. Ace, I thing. I've had the Rutland on for a couple of years. No problem with the gasket. It's got to be an alignment issue. 

But I appreciate that you stand behind what you sell. If I can convert some of my eggers to Rutlands I'm sending them your way. I believe in helping people out especially if they're as helpful as you and the rest of the members on here.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    No. I didn't get it through you. Ace, I thing. I've had the Rutland on for a couple of years. No problem with the gasket. It's got to be an alignment issue. 

But I appreciate that you stand behind what you sell. If I can convert some of my eggers to Rutlands I'm sending them your way. I believe in helping people out especially if they're as helpful as you and the rest of the members on here.
    Thank you for your reply. Some people buy Rutlands from ACE or Amazon and then throw away the useless Rutland adhesive included in the blister packs or don't have enough to properly do an XL egg. Plus neither of those places include the detailed instructions and hints I have developed over the last 12 years I have been providing my not for profit service to fellow eggers. Even the published version listed on The Naked Whiz site is an outdated summarized version of my earlier instructions  from back then and doesn't cover the procedure I have perfected. The only thing that has stayed the same has been my asking price of $11 for a large or $13 for an XL. Seeing I've been doing this service for 12 years now I assume you see I'm not gouging anybody. Good night - I'm off to bed...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @jllbms‌ hey bro don't feel bad. I had mine straight and as I was covering her up after tonight's egging noticed at least a .5" underbite. I doubt I tightened it enough so I'll just adjust it tomorrow or this coming weekend. No biggie.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mine is not perfect either but it still works good and I don't stress out over it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Cowdogs said:

Hope this helps....

damned if it didn't work..... Been fighting that underbite forever. Egg was still 400 when I did it so a little sketchy but I pulled my bottom band up to the top of the lip, torqued it down and adjusted the dome. Best it's been in years.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chashans
    Options
    My LBGE is six month old. I have never cooked anything over 500F degrees. I check my bands after every cook, after the egg has cooled, with a torque wrench to 125 inch pounds
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options

chashans said:
    My LBGE is six month old. I have never cooked anything over 500F degrees. I check my bands after every cook, after the egg has cooled, with a torque wrench to 125 inch pounds
    It almost always needs to be adjusted.

• Grill66
    Grill66 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the same problem and have tried multiple times to fix it.  I still have an underbite too.  I don't understand how adjusting the bands while it's hot would fix this issue since it seems to be a spring or hinge issue but maybe that's something I should try. I'm hesitant because I finally got it to stop leaking so I may just settle for that.

• Cowdogs
    Options
    Grill66 said:
    I have the same problem and have tried multiple times to fix it.  I still have an underbite too.  I don't understand how adjusting the bands while it's hot would fix this issue since it seems to be a spring or hinge issue but maybe that's something I should try. I'm hesitant because I finally got it to stop leaking so I may just settle for that.

I don't think the hot vs.cold really matters.  Doing it warm reduces the chances of the bands loosening, but you can achieve the same thing with a cool egg by tightening bands multiple times.  Just follow the instruction I gave above.  Get that bottom band as high as possible and even all the way around.  Pay special attention to back by the hinge and make sure the band is as high as possible.
  • Cowdogs
    Options
    Cowdogs said:

Hope this helps....

damned if it didn't work..... Been fighting that underbite forever. Egg was still 400 when I did it so a little sketchy but I pulled my bottom band up to the top of the lip, torqued it down and adjusted the dome. Best it's been in years.
    Glad I could help.  Now if you could help me get my brisket tasting like what I got from Louie Muellers last year we'd be even ....   Hell for that matter I would settle for brisket as good as I got from a Rudy's gas station in Round Rock.  Take care...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Cowdogs said:

Hope this helps....

Glad I could help.  Now if you could help me get my brisket tasting like what I got from Louie Muellers last year we'd be even ....   Hell for that matter I would settle for brisket as good as I got from a Rudy's gas station in Round Rock.  Take care...
    Rudy's is pretty good for gas station brisket :). Louie's is good too if you it them on the right day. They are legendary. Cool place too. Nothing like feeling like you smoked a pack of Marlboro reds when you walk out of a restaurant.

Buy a good brisket, salt and pepper (or bad byron's if you want to use a rub) and cook it at 225-275 until you can stick a skewer all the way through (top to bottom) with very little resistance. rest until it's still hot but easy to handle with your bare hands, slice across the grain and eat. It will be better than Rudy's and probably Mueller's too. 

It all starts at the store for the home bbq cook. If you fail there, you are dead. Choice or higher or CAB will get you where you need to be. If you get a good one you can do well with just the flat. I love CAB flats but I always buy packers when I can. I love the point. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX