Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Losing my grandma.

Options

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I will be praying for you and your Grandma.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • martinhd28
    martinhd28 Posts: 38
    Options
    From one Newfoundlander to another - my condolences. 
    Toronto, ON
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Prayers and peace to your entire family. Mary God Bless your Grandmother and peace be with her. Be thankful to have all the fond memories you have shared with her. God Bless.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. 
    Danville, Il
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss buddy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• StellarEvo
    StellarEvo Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about that.  I'll keep you and your grandmother in my thoughts and prayers.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Prayers to you and your family. Although it very tough to let go of a loved one , an inner peace is knowing they no longer have to endure any pain. They will live on forever in your heart through memories.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I respectively bump this.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Sorry to hear.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry to hear, Jamie....I hope she led a happy full life.
    Options
    Sorry to hear about her health. Know that she will leave you with many memories of happy times, which you will cherish. My mom passed away a few years ago, and I smile when I cook her recipes. Seems like that's when I feel her presence the most. I'm sure you will smile too when you recollect the good times.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Prayers to you and your family.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2014
    Options
    There was a quote in the movie about Jill Kinmount that rings true. "Thank you God for placing someone in my life, who saying good bye to is so damed awful" Losing the ones you love is some of the rockiest road we travel in life. Prayers for your Nan, you, and the rest of your family. 

Grace and Peace to you and yours. 
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Sorry to hear this.  Spend as much time with her as you can and let her know how much you love her!  Nothing worst then losing a love one!  Hang in there. 

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    God is with you Canman,I am praying for you and your Nana.
  • divecj5
    divecj5 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm new around here and obviously don't know you, but wanted to pass along my prayers as well as something I read a while back when I was dealing with loss as well.  It may not resound with you now but I thought it was an apt way of thinking about things.  It's rather long but worth the read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grief, you'll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you're drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. And all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it's some physical thing. Maybe it's a happy memory or a photograph. Maybe it's a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.

In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don't even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while, maybe weeks, maybe months, you'll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what's going to trigger the grief. It might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything...and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.

Somewhere down the line, and it's different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O'Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you'll come out.
    Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don't really want them to. But you learn that you'll survive them. And other waves will come. And you'll survive them too. If you're lucky, you'll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glad to be a part of this forum.
    -Adam

Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Sorry to hear it. Our thoughts and prayers with you.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @canman1976 - My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I pray for your strength during this very difficult time. Amen. 

I was close to my G-ma too. She was my best friend growing up. No one understood me like my G-ma. When I went to visit her in my teenage years, she always felt like I needed cash. So she would fold up what ever money she had and SNEEK and put it in my hand or pocket when no one else was looking. I wouldn't dare tell her I didn't want/need her money. LOL - I smiled sharing this with you man. I know its tough now but think of all the wonderful memories of her and she will be with you forever. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited June 2014
    Options
    GATABITES said:

@canman1976 - My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I pray for your strength during this very difficult time. Amen. 

I was close to my G-ma too. She was my best friend growing up. No one understood me like my G-ma. When I went to visit her in my teenage years, she always felt like I needed cash. So she would fold up what ever money she had and SNEEK and put it in my hand or pocket when no one else was looking. I wouldn't dare tell her I didn't want/need her money. LOL - I smiled sharing this with you man. I know its tough now but think of all the wonderful memories of her and she will be with you forever. 
    My nan did the same for me,40 bucks stuffed in my pocket every time I was heading out and no wasn't an option.

The kind words are very comforting guys... I appreciate it so much.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    so sorry to hear the terrible news.  i feel for you.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Many blessing and prayers for you and your family....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I am so sorry Jamie. My prayers are with you and your nana. My last living grandparent passed away twenty years ago. I spent as much time with him as possible at the end. It made the loss easier. 

You are doing the right thing. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    Just lost my Father 3 months ago. You can hope they don't go through a lot of pain, and are as comfortable as possible. My thoughts are for you to be strong and I'm sure you will tell her how much you love her, she hears you. God Bless Jamie
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Been there, it's all part of life and means a lot to her to have you there. Godspeed!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sorry my son. Sometime down the road it will hit you that it is part of life.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    prayers for you and your family

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Worst day if my life was today,just found out my grandmother has a very aggressive leukemia that had spread to her lungs and she only has days to live:( I'm spending the night at the hospital with her and it's almost unbearable.I was very close to my nan growing up because I lived with her. Sorry about bringing it up here but you eggheads are like good friends to me,gonna be a rough few days:((( Jamie
    Prayers are with you and your family. I hate this for you.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

I am so sorry to hear of your future loss.  Remember the great time you had with her,  the advice she gave you the stories she told you. 

I lost all of my grand parents before I was 12.   I certainly wish I could have spent adult time with My grand parents. A Loss of a loved one is always tough, Rmember her for what she was.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.  She is so lucky to have you by her side.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Wishing you and your family the very best in this troubled time. You have my deepest sympathys sir. May the Good Lord watch over and comfort you and your family.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.