Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Mini - Startup time, Lump Consumption, Temp, Smokiness

Options
Hey guys..

Thinking of adding a Small BGE to my Mini (and KJ Classic).

The KJ (same size as LBGE) is great, but too big for most "for two" meals.

Mini is AWESOME and I've cooked some amazing grub on it, but the 10'' grid is "just" on the too small side - and it's hard to fit things at times.

So, I'm wondering..compared to the Mini..

- How much slower is the Small to come up to temp (say, 450?)

- How much more lump does the Small burn over the Mini?  (I swear the Mini ADDS lump when you burn it)

- Has BGE fixed the problems with the Small consistency yet?  (Some people get a 'good' Small that has no prob coming up to temp quickly and going 700+..others get the lemon Smalls and it takes forever to start..and never gets hot enough).

- Is the Small as "smoky" as the Mini?  (I cooked 1'' thick pork chops the other day indirect at about 350, and the Mini POURED white smoke the entire 40+ minutes.  I jokingly said "we have a Pope!" at one point.. :))  KJ for whatever bizarre reason almost NEVER pours smoke, and the food off the Mini has that charcoal-flavored, smoky goodness, while the KJ is just "cooked" (weird..have not been able to figure this out).  Question is..is the Small like the KJ in this regard?  Or the Mini?

TIA!

BTW, SWMBO suprisingly isn't giving me ANY grief about another Egg.  Must be because she LURVS the food that comes off of this thing..
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Imo I would add a med. Instead of a small. I use my med more then any other size of the family of eggs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thx..I've read good things about the MBGE and did think about that originally, but it's not much smaller than the KJ/LBGE and one of the main reasons I want a third "egg" is that the KJ is already (much) too big to cook for two, and the mini is too tight..

Plus, believe it or not..I actually do think about lump consumption since I'm near retirement and don't want to spend $2-4 in lump every time I want to egg..(the KJ DEVOURS lump compared to the Mini..I'm guessing the Small would be closer to the Mini in lump use than the Medium)..

The Small seems like the perfect "dinn for two" egg all around.  Those extra 3'' would make a HUGE difference..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Would agree on med or even large. Large is the perfect size for brisket and other whole cooks. I have a small but used mostly the mini and large for cooks (the small is to complement when I have lots to cook). Here's my thoughts to respond to your questions on the small:
    - Takes longer to come to temp vs. mini (at least noticeable). Probably also longer than a much larger egg (ie. Large).
    - Not sure how much more lump vs mini - not noticeable in my opinion.
    - Because it takes longer to come up to temp, I've never had small go to 700 even when I left it for considerable time (ie. forget about it) whereas mini, I've had it happen where it goes up to 700 on multiple occasions when I forgot about it.
    - Not sure about smoky but I've never had issues with lack of smokiness or different tastes comparing large, small and mini.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Thx..I already have the equivalent of a Large BGE ("red headed stepchild" ie Kamado Joe [KJ]).  Very nice piece of gear and <cough> a lot of things I like about it over BGE..it's just too big for the two of us for "most" meals, just like a LBGE would be..
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Sorry miss the sentence about you already having KJ. Small seems like a good alternative if the size works for you - you'll just have to deal with its mood then (if any). :D

• bbqlearner
    Options
    Just to add, I resolved the time the small takes rising to temp by buying hi-q grate to replace my charcoal grate. It's worked better with it - still slower than mini but I just learn to live with it. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    If you don't mind venturing to the dark side again, why not the KJ Jr.? At least until the mini-max comes out. You'd have the real estate of the small, the portability of the Jr., and the included extras as a bene. Just my opinion, mind you.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Smoky...bge is coming out with a mini max later July early august. That sounds to me that it would be a perfect match. It will be as tall as your mini but have the grid size of a small. I'd guess it would use less lump then the small but I will find out when it's released.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    @badinfluence I assume you're adding a minimax to your family too?

• badinfluence
    Options
    Oh yeah. Already have my name on one from my dealer. He ordered 2 for when they are released so he could sell one and one for me. :D

They are guessing price between a mini and small so I'm guessing around 450.00 i think it will be perfect for the motor home

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Yeah, the MiniMax looks great and would provide the same size grid (13'') as the Small as I understand it..

The only downside is it's too close to a Mini..and SWMBO would say something along the lines of "why do we need two that are so close?"

At least with the Small, it LOOKS different.

The real question becomes..how will the MiniMax compare to the Small?  I'd guess faster "to temp" times..but a smaller firebox..food closer to the lump..

Decisions, decisions..
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    If you don't mind venturing to the dark side again, why not the KJ Jr.? At least until the mini-max comes out. You'd have the real estate of the small, the portability of the Jr., and the included extras as a bene. Just my opinion, mind you.
    Ahhhh..great suggestion..but there is no spark screen on the KJ Jr, so automatically not an option (I have a wood deck).

If Bobby & Co ever put a spark screen on the Jr, it'd be a mean machine.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My first Egg was a Small and used it several years. Worked better after the High-Que grate was added. Then bought a Large and a Mini. After a few years found i was not using the Small at all. Sold the Small and added another Large. Now I have two Larges the sit there not being used 75% of the time. The Mini is the goto for my wife and I. Now having two Larges is just like your wife having double ovens. When needed they are worth the cost. If I had to get rid of two of my a Eggs today: I would keep the Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• badinfluence
    Options
    @Mickey....soon you have 2 larges for sale? :D

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @Mickey....soon you have 2 larges for sale? :D

Sorry brother. Not anytime soon I hope. I was thinking about the new mini but then having to get all the toys: no. Happy with my Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• badinfluence
    Options
    I still think a med would fit the bill perfect or wait on the mini max...
    oh heck get them both....you can never have too many eggs

Clinton, Iowa
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Lol always looking to add  :))

• badinfluence
    Options
    Lol...i tried

Clinton, Iowa
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ I keep my Jr. on my front porch, which is cement. I totally understand the caution on the lack of screen. Having said that, I have never seen anything hot come out the bottom vent. Sparks out of the top when lighting, yes. I also keep my XL on cement, for the same reason, so I do understand the caution.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Have you thought about a KJ junior? 2 weeks after I got my KJ my small egg was listed on CL. For $400 it comes with a stand, their version of the woo, and a pizza stone for indirect and its bottom vent hole is about double the size of the small egg so it comes to temp as fast as the mini if not faster.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I dont have the issues it seems others have. If I use what I consider "crappy lump", it takes a little longer to come to temp but even then not that much. I do have a Hique grate and usually burn Ozark Oak but I light mine with an electric lighter, wait 7 minutes, then pull it and close lid with daisy off and bottom vent open. I'm usually cooking in another 15 minutes but thats cuz I want my cast iron grid HOT to get those sear marks. If I forget about it Im at 600 or 700 before too long at all. Uses a lot less lump than my Large. I use it for burgers, chops, and steaks and even overnite pork butts when I take it to the camp.

Little Rock, AR

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Love my medium, small is very slow up to temp. It's an airflow thing, around the fire ring/box. These things are not built as sets, and I think some of the small shave fire rings/boxes that are not wide enough, and some air goes around instead of through. My medium had a small ring/box, and it sucked at getting to temp. Replacing them with better fitting ones turned it into a jet engine. I believe this is why the small owners with no issues just can't believe how those of us that have issues aren't crazy or something.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    I've had my medium for 9 years and just got a large, but the medium I feel is the best for a 2 person cook. Very noticeable how much less charcoal it uses than my large.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    nealcr1 said:
    I've had my medium for 9 years and just got a large, but the medium I feel is the best for a 2 person cook. Very noticeable how much less charcoal it uses than my large.
    Thanks..aside from the greater versatility of the Medium (with a 15'' grid vs a 13''), what do you think makes the Medium a better choice for 2 than the Small?

The Medium was my original plan but I do think the Small would be more "Mini-like" in terms of it's lump consumption..
  • Mickey
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    nealcr1 said:
    Thanks..aside from the greater versatility of the Medium (with a 15'' grid vs a 13''), what do you think makes the Medium a better choice for 2 than the Small?

The Medium was my original plan but I do think the Small would be more "Mini-like" in terms of it's lump consumption..

Please do not buy ANY Egg with lump consumption as the target. When lump is put in real world dollars and cents it is like zero compared the the cost of our Eggs. Buy it for fitting the size of who you will be cooking for. Buy it for portability size. Buy it for getting to temp the fastest should be low on the list as well. All just IMO.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    nealcr1 said:

I think we are asking "which hybrid gets the best gas mileage?".  You can spend a lot of money on eggs to save lump, and you will never recover the costs you spent to save lump.  I know people love their small, everyone is going to say the egg they bought is the best.  I have had the small and the medium for 5 years now, and the medium is vastly superior in what I can use it for.  It doesn't use much lump if that worries you, but it cooks almost everything a large can do.  I use it almost exclusively out of all of my egg sizes (I have each, except for the XXL and mini max), and it is great for my family of five, or for when I have just me and a friend over cooking a few steaks.  I got into the smaller egg frenzy a while ago and bought the small, and then the mini, and they just kind of sit there.  I will keep them for the collector in me, but honestly, that medium is the perfect egg in my mind.  I don't care about portability, I would never take an egg anywhere.  There are other bbq tools if you want to be mobile (I cant say enough good about this grill for traveling and being mobile: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-Charcoal-18-Inch/dp/B0098HR0RC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403707530&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=werner+jumbo+joe )
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I have all sizes of eggs including the xxl and have 3 med and 2 larges. And as I stated before I think the med is the way to go over the small. Say you want to do chicken potatoes and corn even for 2 it probably will not all fit in the small but easy on the med. And as far as lump goes...come on let's get real here if you are really on that tight of a budget a new egg might not be in your future.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokyBear
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hey, guys..thanks for all the comments and suggestions..

SWMBO and I are going to retire "shortly", so cost of food prep (lump in this case) is something to take into account in the budget.

I see the Egg as a one time purchase, and lump as a "everytime I use the Egg" cost.  So, I'm willing to invest to get the right combination of size and lump usage.  (Albeit, I may not recoup the cost of the additional Egg over the years, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take, as I know a big part of the reason I didn't use my "bigger than I needed" Weber is because it was a propane guzzler..and I'm finding the same with my LBGE-sized KJ..it's a lump guzzler, and a deterent from long term use).

While working, I don't care if I go thru a half a bag per cook.  But retired?  I don't want to spend $2 - 4 in lump in addition to my meal.

So, while I know it might not make sense to everyone..definitely an important factor for US.

The other thing is startup time - I watch my Mini BGE like a HAWK when it's got the draft door open, since it's on a wood deck.  If the startup time of my next Egg is longer, that'd definitely be a factor in the decision.  (Presumably, I'll have all the time in the world in retirement - assuming I live long enough to get there! - but for now, time is a precious and limited commodity and I want something that will get to temp quickly so that I can close the draft door and leave it alone..)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

@SmokyBear

What kind of start up time are you talking about?  Is there a big difference to you between maybe 10 minutes and 15 minutes?  I think its difficult to give you an opinion on "quick startup time" without defining exactly what YOU conside quick.  I can have my Large ready to cook burgers in about 15 or 20 minutes.  My small is about the same, maybe a few minutes longer. 

Little Rock, AR

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Re: startup time - I want to minimize (ideally 5 minutes or less) the time I need to leave the draft door open, as I watch it the whole time.  And, crazy as this sounds - yes, with my current gig (where I get free MINUTES per week, an extra 5-10 minutes on startup is something I'd consider).

The KJ is great, as the "draft door" in this case isn't like BGE's at all - and is actually a pull out drawer with a bunch of holes on the front side of it that seem to keep the embers in.  So, it's never "open" and I can leave the KJ alone while it lights - unlike the Mini BGE.