Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short ribs?

Options
Alrighty brothers and sisters - I've never done these before but they were calling my name! (I actually stopped for bison ribs, but they are frozen and will have to wait for another day.) I'm torn between low and slow with just a rub or the APL recipe with fleur de sel. Anyone care to chime in?
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Do you have a whole rack or cut down? Either way I would go with a simple rub of either 50/50 salt/pepper or 2:2:1:1 Salt:Pepper:Onion Powder:Garlic Powder and got low n' slow til done, about 200* or til you can probe like soft butter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I've just got what you see on the plate...about two pounds worth.
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    I didn't see the pic the first time for some reason... I haven't done boneless short ribs before, so not sure if they will be different. But I would think they will be similar. The other option is to smoke them for a couple hours, then braise them to finish them. Which may be similar to APL's recipe, but not familiar with that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Ribs are on - simple dusting with DP Dust (haven't tried it before) and going the low and slow method at 250. This will be my first L&S...should be interesting. :)
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    Sounds good, and may I mention, your BF is a lucky man!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Can't wait to see those ribs when complete. DMW gave sound advice above. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    When are you trying to eat them? You have to break that meat down so they can take about 5-6 hours to get happy. Quicker if you go DMW's route.

Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @DMW‌ Thank you, kind sir. I probably won't pass that on to him, though...as the ribs are just for me and the boys tonight! :)@SGH I only hope to live up to one of your cooks, my friend! @cazzy I'm a teacher on summer schedule now....so I was thinking we'd be eating at maybe midnight or so? In the meantime, I'm teaching the boys how to play poker. (Judge me if you will, but these kids are going to have AWESOME summer memories. I promise I'm MUCH more responsible during the school year. :) )
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    You will far exceed what I can do my friend if you just stay focused and keep on course. You seem to really have the drive and a passion for cooking. And that's what it takes to be successful. Good luck with the ribs and let us know how they turn out.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    Options
    Turns out I'm a way better mom than I thought - it was only 10:30 pm when the ribs were done! :) Both boys loved them ("delicious!" was heard and there are no leftovers.) DS2 would have preferred a little less char/bark, but DS1 thought it was the perfect amount. Technique was probably, as usual, a bit unorthodox. Split the firebox of the XL with firebricks, cooked direct at 250 until I thought they were crispy enough, then moved onto indirect. Wasn't expecting them to be done until midnight, but at 10:30 I checked and the probe told me they were done. Who am I to argue? Great cook both for the turn-out and for learning how to keep my egg at 250...I'm going to put this one in the "win" column. :)
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    It looks like a winner to me! Nicely done. Hope y'all enjoyed. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Those look delicious!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Looks great to me! And I see they weren't boneless after all. I like the crunchy bark as well, which you lose if you do a combo smoke/braise.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    @PNWFoodie, I do mine a few hours under smoke at 350 dome (325 grate) then I braised them covered in a mixture of beef broth, BBQ sauce, and a little Dales Marinade. Chunk them up, add some more BBQ sauce and serve. (These were boneless of course)  
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Sorry, these take about 3 hours. You can do them with the bone the same way if you would like.
    Dearborn MI
  • DMW
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ Short Ribs burnt ends, I like the sound of that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• KenfromMI
    Options
    That was what I actually did, served them burnt end style. Didn't have the time to do L&S that night and it worked out well and has been put in the rotation.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    That was my plan I should have said.
    Dearborn MI
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @SGH‌ @TexanOfTheNorth‌ @dmw Thanks for the kind words! Believe it or not, I enjoy cooking more than I enjoy eating most times, so I'm always happy when the boys think I've got a winner. They get to eat, I get to cook...we all win. :)@KenfromMI‌ Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to try that one out next time!
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    I understand fully. There was a time that cooking was more enjoyable than eating. However when you get old you start to prefer the eating as opposed to the cooking!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    As of late I have been experimenting with cooking them raised direct at 350-400 degrees. I raise the grid to gasket level and give then a flip every few minutes until they are done. They don't render out quite as well but they are fast and outstanding nonetheless. They have a little more of a "beefy" taste cooking them raised direct. I like it how ever others may not. If you ever try them raised direct let me know what you think.

Status- Standing by.

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I did mine indirect BTW.
    Dearborn MI
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Looks really good - would love to try this some day.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• PNWFoodie
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @SGH I'm not sure I'd like them that way. I'm all about the beefier taste (one of the many reasons I buy grassfeed), but I'm sorta weird when it comes to unrendered fat. It gives me the heebie-jeebies. I think it's a consistency thing...I have the same problem with most raw fish. (Not that grilled beef ribs and raw fish have anything in common, mind you...but it makes sense to me.)

@bbqlearner Jump on in and give it a try! I don't usually do what I'm "supposed to" when I do cooks...I take guidance from here and then leap off based on what I've learned combined with instinct as well as time, taste, and other constraints dictate. It's food, not rocket science...and for me the fun is in the journey along the way! The worst that can happen is that I really mess up...and my big, goofy, mastiff gets a bonus treat at dinner! :)
    Sandy
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Need to find short ribs first. I looked at Costco in Houston the other day and only found boneless ones. Would think the boned in ones are better?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• KenfromMI
    Options
    My boneless ones were from Costco. I get the bone in ones from smaller independent meat markets which never seem to carry boneless ones.
    Dearborn MI