Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it just me?

Options
Snowman
Snowman Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a brisket today and it is in the 20's and windy. this is the first time I have don a low and slow when it is real cold. Is the temp control supposed to be kicking my ass? I can't seem to get it to stay where I want it. Any insight or help would be much appreciated. [p]Jason

Comments

• eggdog
    eggdog Posts: 38
    Options
    Snowman, sorry can't help. i am in louisiana. if it get's in the 20's we don't get out of bed.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Snowman,[p]Did you see my 'Lucy' down below? A quick fix that I've found is to take a piece of cardboard the same size as your bottom damper and a paper punch. Hit it about six times. That might get you in the 250 ballpark. That's how i prototyped 'Lucy'. A very slight adjustment of the bottom vent makes a huge differance.[p]Scott

• eggdog
    eggdog Posts: 38
    Options
    scott, can't find lucy below. i don't understand what you are doing with the cardboard. thanks, john
  • eggor
    Options
    eggdog,[p]I was refering to my post on the forum, but here is a link.[p]I was thinking about it yo may need to punch about 8 or 9 holes to hit 250.[p]Scott[p]

[ul][li]clicky here[/ul]
  • Hey Eggor, I like your vent door on the vent door. How did you cut those tear drop holes?
  • eggor
    Options
    Anton,[p]I am fortunate (well,... when it comes to doing highly classified eggstuff)to work in a sheet metal shop with all the equipment. You might be able to do it with a drill and snips but it would be tough. wear gloves if you try it. sheet metal spinning around on a hand drill really tears up fingers.[p]Scott

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Suggest marking the piece of sheet metal for the right size and then screwing the piece of sheet metal to a scrap piece of wood and then drill the holes. Cut after you drill. Much safer than trying to drill a piece of sheet metal while holding it.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Suggest marking the piece of sheet metal for the right size and then screwing the piece of sheet metal to a scrap piece of wood and then drill the holes. Cut after you drill. Much safer than trying to drill a piece of sheet metal while holding it.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Snowman,
    Try blocking the wind with something. The door will need to to open more for colder weather and I have to slooooowly open up untill I hit target temp. The wind can cause problems summer or winter.
    No, its not just you.
    Clay

• Snowman,[p]Be sure to position your cooker so the intake vent is downwind. If it is in a table and you don't want to move it, put something in front to block the direct wind blowing into the vent.[p]Dave

• Snowman
    Options
    ClayQ,
    It was gusting quite a bit yesteday. Thanks for the tip, i'll try putting up some sort of barrier.