Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the secret to perfectly rendered brisket?

Options
Made a brisket (point) last night.  It turned out well, but the fat didn't render quite as nicely as I'd hoped.  I'm really looking for that perfectly melted fat that kind of drips through the entire hunk.  Mine turned out to have some nice chunks of fat, but they were pretty isolated and the meat didn't have that melty texture you look for in a point.  I cooked at 250, foiled at 170 internal, pulled it at 200 and FTC'd for a few hours before finishing on the egg to tighten up the bark.  Anyway, just curious what all of your secrets are for achieving that texture?  
Southern California

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm less focused on temp with brisket. As long as it probes like butter and gets the "jiggle", I'm good to go. I seem to have good success with this so it's not really a secret. I also don't foil.

Perhaps @cazzy will offer some pointer or Cen-Tex if he decides to stay out of wine country.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Say ten Hail Cen-Tex's and you will be shown the path.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Next time pull at 207 i think you will be alot happier with the end result.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Cen tex is the man on the brisket. If you say centex 3 times he will appear.

He guided me through one on mine and it was awesome.

@cazzy is now a legend on the brisket and he can offer help.

Or this guy @travisstrick has a method, the say he is a legend.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Although I may be dead wrong I'll take a crack at it. I'd say the quality of cut, trimming prep work and total time in the pit & pit temp in the egg. I believe fat begins to render somewhere around the 160℉ ish mark.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - Agreed about the cut itself.  Looking at the point yesterday before it went into the egg, I was thinking that it just didn't have as much marbling as I would like.  That may very well have played into the end product.

Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    Centex
    Centex
    Centex
    Southern California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Never have cooked a point solo so the following is a guesstimate.  When the flat is probing like butter,  depending on the cut of meat, that can be in the high 180's but more likely around 200*F or so.  At that temp in the flat, the point is probably running around 10*F hotter due to the higher fat content.  So, I would guess you needed to run it up to a higher temp.  But just an opinion and we  all know what those are worth!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Most brisket fat on the top is hard; it just won't render. I trim mine really close, leaving 1/8 inch. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Where did you find the "point" all by itself?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bicktrav
    Options
    grege345 said:

Where did you find the "point" all by itself?

Went to a local butcher. Markets don't usually carry points, but most butchers will cut one for you if you ask.
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    @cazzy and @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker - Any guidance you can share here?
    Southern California
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    The quality of the cut probably - at least USDA Choice? I usually also trimmed the hard fat off whole packer following Aaron Franklin's instructions in youtube (only leaving soft fat around 1/4").

Or you can boil it :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    pull between 205-207.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What's the secret to perfectly rendered brisket?

I have been seeking the answer to that question myself for over half a century. Maybe we will get lucky and the brisket Gods will answer. If anyone figures it out please let me know the answer as well. I would like to cook one good one before I leave this ole world behind. Thanks in advance.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Plan ahead... No wrap, low and slow - is why they call it BBQ... You're BGE will cook forever at low temps. Just start it sooner and extract the greatness of your cooking device.