Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lentils

Options
LOVE lentils. If they're done right. Saw a post on here the other day that looked good enough to make me go looking for a recipe. These were pretty good, though I'll make some adjustments next time. Probably lose the peppers and the maple syrup. Might even do 'em on the egg for some smoked flavor. I didn't because I just usually don't with cooks like this. They were served with spatched chicken from the egg if that helps.  

Dried lentils, celery, onion, garlic, carrots, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and some red and green peppers. Oh and a little red wine. Used only one tsp of salt for a full 4 qt DO. FYI, once you make the effort to cut back on the salt, and then get used to it, a little really does go a long way. Probably could have gotten away with less here. 

Pretty good stuff! And good FOR you too!

Basic recipe from PBS... 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Google dal fry or dal recipes. Nobody does lentils like Indians. Look at sambar and rasam as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    looks great
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Steven, I keep threatening to experiment with Indian cooking, but so far, have not. Thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Google dal fry or dal recipes. Nobody does lentils like Indians. Look at sambar and rasam as well.
    You haven't been to Puerto Rico, obviously.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Chana dal is one of my favourites too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    favorites.  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @CarolinaQ - I asked SWMBO about the lentils. The ones she made were from a prepared package via Trader Joe's. Your's look fantastic! Must try.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @CarolinaQ - I asked SWMBO about the lentils. The ones she made were from a prepared package via Trader Joe's. Your's look fantastic! Must try.
    Thanks! Maybe one of these days. TJ's is a bit of a hike, but next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'll check it out. If you try the PBS recipe, hope you enjoy. The red and green peppers were not in the recipe. I added them with everything else and thought they were overcooked. Will either add later in the cook of omit next time.

Thanks for getting back to me! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    favorites.  :))
    Half the time the 'murican  autocorrect works and half the time it doesn't.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    @CarolinaQ. Indian food is great. Years ago I went Vegetarian for two years for health reasons and I relied heavily on Indian Cuisine in the house. Its when I got addicted to cooking with a lot more spices than I did prior. I'm spoiled with Indian Markets in my area where you can buy ingredients and spice at about 1/4 of what other stores charge. I still shop and cook the food as well.  
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Any recipes from Julie Sahni will be a hit in your house if you try them.
    Dearborn MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd minus the green peppers too, primarily because i dislike their taste. Likewise, the sugar doesn't seem to be necessary. The carrots, onions, and tomatoes all have sugar in them.

Lentils have been a staple in out house from the start. As I've become more acquainted w. Indian and Middle Eastern cooking, the dishes have become even better. There are 2 shops in town now that have big supplies of pulses of all kinds. For awhile, it was hard to find red lentils (my fave) in bags bigger than 8oz for several dollars.

Check out "Turkish red soup," sometime called brides soup. There are a number of variations. but they are based around red lentils, usually w. some bulgur , and often some rice. Besides being hearty, most recipes balance heat from peppers w. cool from mint.

• KenfromMI
    Options
    The city I live in has the largest Middle Eastern population outside of the Middle East itself. Love their food too and make it regularly. Very healthy cuisine as well. My next door neighbors are Lebanese and constantly hand me home made food over the fence. I think I gained 15 pounds since they moved in last year LOL 
    Dearborn MI