Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So how do Eggfests work?

Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
Is everyone supposed to show up with their BGE and cook?  Are BGE's available to cook on if you won't or can't bring your own?
I know I won't even attempt to roll my BGE back into the front yard. It was delivered and rolled into the backyard and that is where it will stay.  I roll it about 10 feet from where I store it to where I cook with it and that is the extent of it's travels from now on.  There is an EggFest within driveable distance from my home and I'm wondering if I should see if I can fit it into my summer schedule or not.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Which fest?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Most provide Eggs to cook on then sell at a discount as Demo Eggs. If you are in Central PA there are still 2 Demo Eggs available from the SKH Eggfest last weekend. Check with the organizer.
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited June 2014
    Usually they provide an egg, and free tickets.  You use the money you saved by not buying tickets to buy ingredients.  When you're done cooking, the egg you cooked on is sold to someone as a demo.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2014
    Which fest?
    Northern California, I think it's called Eggs on the River.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Salado is where it's at.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Eggs on the River provides demo Eggs that have been presold for the cooks to use. Here's what they say for cooks to bring: http://www.winecountryeggs.com/whattobring.html

Some fests may ask some cooks to bring Eggs but I think that is typically when the need for cooks exceeds the demand for demo Eggs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I just went to one this weekend in New Hampshire.  There were about 20 booths and about 60-70 eggs available.  Some booths used 2 and others had 5 or 6 going.  The cooks bring their own food to cook.  Cold soda and water were free.  The food was non-STOP and terrific.  Pork dishes were the most prevalent along with Chicken and turkey.  Most of the beef was limited to chili and Swedish meatballs.  There was also some Salmon kabobs.  Overall, all the cooks did an outstanding job and it looked like they were having a lot of fun (most booths were groups of people).  Some prizes were given out at the end of the event.  They also had Linkie Marais there to do presentations ( a professional cook and BGE spokeswoman)  After the BGE cooled down, the people that pre-bought them got to pick one out and take it home.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2014
    This is a good thread.  I have never been to an eggfest (yet) and honestly wondered what goes on and how the ticket cost was justified. I didn't know if you just watched, ate a little, ate a lot, etc. 

It sounds like anyone who believes enough in their skills can cook for the crowd, talk about their technique and share all the food!  And everyone who attends learns and eats all day. 

Sounds more fun after reading this thread.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland