Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primo vs BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Everyone is knocking off the BGE.....c'mon, give me a break.  The Japanese were using these for millennia. 

But, we're not talking about the Ming Dynasty's cookers here. :))
    :-? But, I wonder what their MotherShip was like. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I looked VERY hard at the Primos when I started.  I liked the oval design, split fire box, and the like but there was the underlying issue of hot/cold spots on the Primos.  Even the dealer cautioned on it, the oval design did not reflect as well as or was as efficient as the rounded design of the Egg. However, he said they were both premium choices and I would be happy with either.  For me it boiled down to dealers in my area.  At the time the closest Primos dealer was 1.5 hours away and I had several Egg dealers much closer.  I settled on the LBGE and never regretted it. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The BGE is the only one that includes this forum. I've learned more here in the past year that can be applied to any cooker that makes the price of admission well worth it. I know we have plenty of lurkers around with other ceramics, but if I had known about this place when I purchased I would have paid a good bit extra to join the club if it wasn't included.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Kosko‌, call the mothership. They seem more responsive that way.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The guy that started Primo came out of the BGE group. Not sure if there was any ugliness or not.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    @Kosko‌, call the mothership. They seem more responsive that way.

will do! Thanks for the info!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I'm sure there are kilns that can fire hotter than 2000 degrees. I think the issue is the size of the kiln needed to fire the necessary quantities.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    1. My wife has a ceramics studio in our basement. The kiln will go as high as 2350 degrees. High fire ceramics get even hotter.
    2. Primos are nice cookers but the hinge is better on the egg. When it came down to the two, I chose the egg because the dome was easier to lift on the egg. I loved that primo was made I. in the USA. Another consideration was dealer network. My egg dealer is 4 miles away. Primo dealer is 40 miles away.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited June 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    The BGE is the only one that includes this forum. I've learned more here in the past year that can be applied to any cooker that makes the price of admission well worth it. I know we have plenty of lurkers around with other ceramics, but if I had known about this place when I purchased I would have paid a good bit extra to join the club if it wasn't included.

That's not true - Primo has their own forum and has for years! There are some diehard Primo folks there as well! Chevy vs. Ford has nothing on the BGE vs Primo grudge on these guys! Granted it isn't as active as this corporate sponsored forum, but the independent forum of Greeneggers which preceded this forum has been around for a couple decades! This BGE forum is an infant.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:

DMW said:

That's not true - Primo has their own forum and has for years! There are some diehard Primo folks there as well! Chevy vs. Ford has nothing on the BGE vs Primo grudge on these guys! Granted it isn't as active as this corporate sponsored forum, but the independent forum of Greeneggers which preceded this forum has been around for a couple decades p!

I didn't say Primo doesn't have "a" forum, I said they don't have "this" forum. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:
    DMW said:

That's not true - Primo has their own forum and has for years! There are some diehard Primo folks there as well! Chevy vs. Ford has nothing on the BGE vs Primo grudge on these guys! Granted it isn't as active as this corporate sponsored forum, but the independent forum of Greeneggers which preceded this forum has been around for a couple decades! This BGE forum is an infant.
    Just so you know Ron they all went to Addicted to BBQ. Lots of egg and primo folk on that forum. You likely remember Ronbeaux, Rumrunner and a few others from there. Quiet last time I checked but there are a lot of tremendous cooks over there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options

Just so you know Ron they all went to Addicted to BBQ. Lots of egg and primo folk on that forum. You likely remember Ronbeaux, Rumrunner and a few others from there. Quiet last time I checked but there are a lot of tremendous cooks over there.
    Steve - no I did not know that. As for your reply about the founder of Primo I recall his first name was George and I also recall he supposedly was more than a crew member and was actually Ed Fisher's first hand man. I also remember that the original Primos that George started producing were dimpled and looked identical in shape, design and appearance to the BGE ---even down to being GREEN! I also recall rumor was a "come to Jesus" meeting was held with Fisher's lawyers and George and immediately Primos were then produced in black ONLY. Then George had some faithful followers and George was more receptive to ideas of upgrades than Ed and that was when the Primo Oval was born. 
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Primo, BGE, other ceramic. Alton Brown titled his book right. "I'm just here for the food" (and recipes)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't think Ed was as sharp as he should have been with patents. Great guy and maybe a litttle too trusting. Going through something like that myself right now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I went to a local BBQ event and there was a Primo team there with like 10 primos out and not one lit. They were just sitting around talking and I went up and started trying to talk to them and nobody was receptive at all they were all douche bags. I would use the oven before I would ever get a Primo after that.
  • RRP
    Options
    I don't think Ed was as sharp as he should have been with patents. Great guy and maybe a litttle too trusting. Going through something like that myself right now.
    Steve, I hear you - and I think history down there in Hotlanta is repeating itself if you get my drift. Sorry that you too, are experiencing something financially (I assume) similar, bud!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    First of all, no one sells Primo in my part of the country, so it was never a consideration.  Secondly, I don't get the fascination with the split firebox on the Primo,  I have an XL, and if I am doing steaks, I build a fire with the lump pushed to one side, cook to IT on the indirect side, rest, then reverse sear on the direct side.  If I want to bake dessert later, I spread the coals, add the plate setter, and am ready to go.  I cannot speak for smaller eggs, but with a little ingenuity (much learned on this forum), you can do about anything on the XL egg.  As you all know, there are lots of other ways to split the firebox, from fire bricks to purchased accessories.  

I know a couple of guys in TX who are happy with their Primos, but I am an Egger and glad to be.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    First of all, no one sells Primo in my part of the country, so it was never a consideration.  Secondly, I don't get the fascination with the split firebox on the Primo,  I have an XL, and if I am doing steaks, I build a fire with the lump pushed to one side, cook to IT on the indirect side, rest, then reverse sear on the direct side.  If I want to bake dessert later, I spread the coals, add the plate setter, and am ready to go.  I cannot speak for smaller eggs, but with a little ingenuity (much learned on this forum), you can do about anything on the XL egg.  As you all know, there are lots of other ways to split the firebox, from fire bricks to purchased accessories.  

I know a couple of guys in TX who are happy with their Primos, but I am an Egger and glad to be.
    Dude, I'm not selling primos here. Just saying it is a nice bit of kit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

Your post reminded me -  a Primo rep came through our city about 10 years ago and left a Large for free with my BGE dealer to sell. He never sold it, but held it on his showroom floor to let customers decide with cooker seemed to be the better buy. That Primo sold many BGE's for my dealer!
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Haven't noticed anything about warranty on the primo, is it lifetime?
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    @gabge 20 year. IMHO. Wasn't a deal breaker. A 20yo grill is a good thing. Even after 22 years
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I'd get a Primo just b/c it is made in USA. If I were in the market for one other than the Egg
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    RRP said:

Cookinbob said:

Your post reminded me -  a Primo rep came through our city about 10 years ago and left a Large for free with my BGE dealer to sell. He never sold it, but held it on his showroom floor to let customers decide with cooker seemed to be the better buy. That Primo sold many BGE's for my dealer!

Ron
    Dealer here had the same thing here. Had 1 primo on the floor a rep left and it just helped sell the bge even better.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    SGH said:
    ... The only real advantage that I give to the Primo is it's made in America. I know I'm one of the older participants here so my loyalties to country first are very strong. I would gladly pay a higher price for my egg if they would produce them in America..
    Agree.  It's too bad it isn't made here.
    Angus1978 said:
    I love my Primo XL.  I wouldn't hate on a BGE XL either.  The split firebox really shines when I reverse sear.  I start with a full firebox my steaks over the "cold side" and over a D-Plate.  Then when the meat hits 100 to 110 degrees, I open the lid, get a good fire near the top (doesn't need to be super hot, just close to the grate to sear....
    Thanks.  Nice to get a little more insight into how it's done.

I'm of course very happy with me LBGE.   Some of the great features and free options that come with the competing products would be nice to have without shelling out another $100+ to obtain, though.  On the other hand, there's something to be said for K.I.S.S.  You put in too many options, it gets confusing.  Just build a simple round grill and let the complexities work themselves out on forums and in after market products.  It works.

Be nice it it was built in the States, though...  image
    LBGE/Maryland
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    BGE has better customer service from what I have read. I have never owned a Primo product though. I do own BGE and Vision. bGE customer service blows Visions away.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Focker said:

Guess if you're a brisket and rib guy, then the Primo shape would be preferred over the round.  On the other hand, one would prefer a round shape for pizzas for convection and radiation.  All comes down to personal preference.  Dealers will push the brand with the higher margins. 

@KiterTodd,

I agree with your thinking.  Split-zone in a ceramic grill is like rotisserie cooking in ceramic over a direct fire???  I too, struggle with the logic.  Two-zone cooking in a poor insulating, higher airflow kettle type grill is different.  

@Little Steven,

You can cold smoke in a cardboard box with a cold smoke generator like the Pro-Q or AMAZ-N.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the advantage of ceramic?

I guess I didn't make myself clear Brandon. I believe you can set up a small amount of lump and wood  in one side and light it. The smaller amount of lump would not heat the ceramic mass as it would with the open design of the bge.  You would still have control over the air intake. I believe that is what allows control down to 170* or so. I've done a fair bit of smoking on eggs but have had to make up special bits to make it work. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON