Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gloves

Options
Looking for the best gloves for handling the components of my egg. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I bought the leather welders gloves on the ceramicgrillstore.com website. I also have heard good things about the Ove Glove and the BGE Pitt Mitt.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I bought a pair of welding gloves from the welding store for 12 dollars, rated to 800 degrees and they work great.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Yeah .. get a pair of good welding gloves. This is what I have:
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    I use these. They work well. Just don't hold the hot item too long. image
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I haven't tried welder gloves...but I do have a pair of Pitt Mitts and have been very happy with them.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I got a pair of welding gloves with my BGE. However, just be aware while they are fine for lifting the grate or platesetter out of the egg, you can't hold them indefinitely. They are meant for moving something from one spot to another, not hoding something for minutes at a time.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I've got a bunch of different gloves and mitts. I started with the leather welding gloves like most people. They are ok for a while but once they get greasy and gross and wet several times they get super stiff. Then I moved up to Orkas which are high temp silicone. They come in 12" and 17" which is really great when reaching inside down deep. Nice thing is they wash up with ease. Ask @richee777 who watched me clean the hot coals out of his new BGE wearing my Orkas. BTW I also own some 2400 degree foundry mitts. Trouble with them is they are huge and inflexible and I get my whole hand in just the thumb and 2 fingers and the other 2 glove fingers flop! Oh and I also have been given a set of those Ove gloves and they are ok too.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I use these, cheap garden gloves. Just don't hold too long.
    Lift my AR in and out just fine.
    Seattle, WA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Welding gloves / leathers here, too. Burned the hell outta my hand on my jerry-rigged plate setter.... But I was about a cool dozen or so beers into the cook, so I didn't feel it for long! :((

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options

I found a pair of Weber aramid fiber gloves at my local hardware store. They are fine for moving the platesetter or grids at any temp I have tried. Nice silicone grippers on the fronts. Not bulky at all.

Jim

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have these. I actually have 2 pair one for home/egging and one for for work (commercial kitchen repair tech). They work very well. You should know the gloves heat limitations and don't get them wet because then heat transfer can be your enemy. Always use some common sense safety.
    Purchased both pairs on Amazon. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a pair of leather gloves for handling lump, welders gloves to handle hot plate setter and the ones below to handle meat, but they are too small for my hands. I haven't used them yet, but I contacted the manufacturer about it and he said they are coming out with a larger size soon and will refund my money. I may give them to a friend who may be able to use them. I wanted them when cutting brisket and other meats. http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-BBQ-Gloves-Five-Fingered-Versatility/dp/B00HLPXL80/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1403573030&sr=8-9&keywords=heat+resistant+gloves
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2014
    Options
    +1 on not getting gloves wet. Water conducts heat very quickly. Learned that with damp hot pads awhile ago.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited June 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    +1 on not getting gloves wet. Water conducts heat very quickly. Learned that with damp hot pads awhile ago.
    True - same way with the high temperature waterproof silicone mitts. While the hands stay protected I inadvertently tried to cool off my hands from inside by pouring water inside. DUMB IDEA! -  that water instantly became steam that blasted my face with my hands inside! And actually only 1 beer had been consumed by the time I made that stupid mistake! But I had already scooped out many many handfuls of burning coals that had been raging over 500 degrees for several hours! Just wish @richee777 or Wendy still had a picture to back me up!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I just bought a pair of 1000 degree gloves from Mcmaster Carr, I got tired of blistered fingers.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#high-temperature-gloves/=sjgphz
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Bought a cheap pair of grill gloves at lowes. They get the job done.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you can find a firefighter's supply the Kevlar ones are incredible. My Dad had a pair but I left them outside and they got pretty tight when they dried. The Ove-Glove aren't too bad but noway as good as the firefighter ones.

Steve 

Caledon, ON