Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

World Cup Pick 'Em

Options

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @lit thanks for the link - WATCHESPN doesnt play well with directv.

I know that Nothing is more annoying then "soccer fan boy trying to convince other sports fans to watch soccer"  . . BUT I am proud to say my city loves the game!

ESPN Research @ESPNResearchTop-rated ESPN markets for USA-Ghana: 

Wash DC (11.8), 
    NY (10.2), 
    Hartford (10.1), 
    Boston (10.0), 
    Columbus (8.9)

2:19 PM - 17 Jun 2014
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2014
    Options
    https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/67291C38E91090656350897369088_16333077f9c.3.2.mp4?versionId=pnxKDysv95oRf2RQNirpwcxAy2a6VNeG

Here is another angle of the RVP goal. Makes it even more incredible.

EDIT: For some reason, I can't get the Vine to post.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    The DC area has such a strong soccer culture, it isn't too surprising that it did really well there. I remember going to Summers in Arlington with friends in grad school to start watching premier league games at 7 in the morning. The high concentration of foreign nationals helps too; my wife worked at PAHO (Pan-American Health Organization) during the 2002 WC and they almost turned their entire schedule around so employees could be there and watch the matches in real time in the auditorium.

Big game coming up soon, can Spain avoid elimination? Chile played them tough in 2010, even though Spain won.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I don't think that anyone could've predicted that the defending World Cup (2010), and Euro Cup (2012) champions would be knocked out with 2 straight losses in the first round. I know my Portuguese friend at work will be ecstatic when I see him tomorrow.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I don't think that anyone could've predicted that the defending World Cup (2010), and Euro Cup (2012) champions would be knocked out with 2 straight losses in the first round. I know my Portuguese friend at work will be ecstatic when I see him tomorrow.

His ecstasy will cease if they suffer the same fate at the hands of the US.  It sounds unlikely on the surface, but in Manaus without Pepe and possibly Coentrao, you never know...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Options
    Foghorn said:

CTMike said:

His ecstasy will cease if they suffer the same fate at the hands of the US.  It sounds unlikely on the surface, but in Manaus without Pepe and possibly Coentrao, you never know...

Coentrao is out for the remainder of the WC. Almeida and Patricio are questionable, and there are questions around CR7's knee, although everyone assumes he will still play.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Considering Beasley's inadequacy, even half-Ronaldo will be trouble. Ghana exposed them. Hopefully the US can at least draw with Portugal because they are going to get rolled by Germany.
  • Acn
    Options
    Ronaldo usually plays on the left, so when he cuts to the center he can shoot with his right foot. He'll be on the Johnson/Cameron side.
    I don't think we'll get rolled against Germany. I don't think Low will want to embarrass his old boss. I think Germany will look to get the result they need to finish first and avoid Argentina in the first knockout round; and then sub and play to a more conservative plan to save energy for the rest of the tournament.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    edited June 2014
    Options

Well, the France-Switzerland match turned out the be the greatest goalfest of them all.  Wow.  We went to 3 games and saw 17 goals.  Today we were between the 18 and midfield in the 6th row on the end where France scored in the 2nd half.  Here is an iphone pic from our seats.

And please accept my apology if any of this comes off as gloating.  That is not my intention.  I'm just trying to share the World Cup enthusiasm and perhaps encourage others here to pursue the possibility of attending games in the future.

We head home tomorrow - and overnight into Sunday - but it has been a great trip. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    30 seconds, we only needed to survive another 30 seconds! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    WTF- boys were lolly gagging their way down the field on that last play. Good teaching moment for my oldest daughter- she was the first one to comment the game is 90 min and you have to play each one.
    Greensboro, NC
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    I know Bradley was key in us qualifying but guy has been terrible - first the horrendous game vs. Ghana and then the blown opportunity to score yesterday and then the turnover that led to the draw.

If I'm Klinsmann I handed him a knife and a compass and told him that if he wanted to play Thursday he better start walking and figure out a way to remove his head from his....  
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Foghorn
    Options
    While these words may come back to haunt me, I don't think Bradley has been as bad as you suggest and I'd be surprised if Klinsmann has lost confidence in him.  He has covered more ground than any other US player.  He worked harder to get himself into space than anybody else toward the end of the game giving players with the ball options for passing.  That's why he ended up with it toward the end.  His passes started a very high percentage of our right wing attacks during the game.  I know he is rueing his missed goal opportunity and the lost possession.  He is far from the only player to lose possession in the Portugal half of the field Sunday.  So, while he was far from perfect, I'm not sure our bench options are better.

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I agree with you @foghorn  . . .  everybody is bashing Bradley but I still think the upside of his work ethic and creativity makes him one of our top 5 players.  He made some mistakes, but I still have faith that his futbol IQ and experience makes him a must start . . now lets beat da germans! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Acn
    Options
    Yeah, I can't fault Bradley too much on the last goal; he turned it over 60-70 yards from goal. Not ideal, but not as bad as Cameron losing his man in the box. And you certainly have to give credit to Ronaldo for an absolutely perfect cross.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Options
    So, should Suarez be banned for life? Or should he be banned for life? :-SS

San Antonio, TX

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Looks like soccer is finally getting it's just support in this country. The media is finally on the bandwagon! It is the most popular sport in the world for a reason!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options
    Acn said:
    Yeah, I can't fault Bradley too much on the last goal; he turned it over 60-70 yards from goal. Not ideal, but not as bad as Cameron losing his man in the box. And you certainly have to give credit to Ronaldo for an absolutely perfect cross.
    I was puzzled why they had three players up front attacking when they already had the lead and should have all been back playing defense for the final few minutes.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options
    Considering Beasley's inadequacy, even half-Ronaldo will be trouble. Ghana exposed them. Hopefully the US can at least draw with Portugal because they are going to get rolled by Germany.
    +1

• chashans
    Options
     You can find most if not all game replays here. Click the Replay tab and then use the soccer filters.   http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index

• chashans
    Options
    Dempsey stalling the game by taking his time to sub out cost the team one extra minute of play in injury time. That is when the tying goal was scored.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Lose and advance, the Blanche DuBois approach to advancing in the World Cup... relying on the kindness of strangers.

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Lose and advance, the Blanche DuBois approach to advancing in the World Cup... relying on the kindness of strangers.
    Brilliant!
    Options
    It wasn't the prettiest game we have played, but it was enough.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Brilliant!
    For some reason, I figured that would speak to you.

San Antonio, TX

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    Survive and advance...
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Belgium here we come!
  • Foghorn
    Options

I give us a 30% chance of advancing.  We don't have anyone who plays at the level of Hazard, De Bruyne, Mirallas, Januzaj - but with that being said, anything can happen with a good team effort in a single game format.

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    Options
    @foghorn .  . Hazard is one of my favorite players to watch control the ball with his tight turns, thread the needle passes, etc.  Also, dont forget about Fellaini (pic) - he has got something to prove this tournament after being labeled a "bust" at Manchester United!  I say we take Belgium to overtime and then our American Grit wins in stoppage time!

Columbus, OH