Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump hard to light

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
I'm having a problem lighting my lump the second time.  It seems to light the first time fine. I been using GFS lump for a couple years or so.  I moved to Florida and bought GFS's lump here.  Different packaging but I thought it was the same 
The other question I have that I forgot is when I light it do I close the lid and keep the vents wide open or do I leave the lid up with all the vents open.  Thanks for your help.  Mark

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    In my experience, previously burned lump lights more quickly than fresh. Is this a problem you always have? Is it possible that the burned lump is getting damp.

I usually wait to make sure that the lump is lit (I use paper towel with cooking oil) and then close the dome; with the bottom and top vents wide open.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Do you stir the lump around and knock off the ash accumulation? Leaving the dome open or closed depends on how you are lighting. If you are using something like a fire starter cube, leaving the dome open provides the copious air they need, and prevents the flames from heating the dome therm way up. Once the flames extinguish, close the dome, remove daisy entirely and leave bottom open wide. If starting w. a torch, close as soon as there is a good patch of lit lump, leaving vents open as above.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I use a torch which has always worked great for me.  The lump is never wet because its under cover.If I keep at it it will eventually light.  I stir all the lump and I use a wiggle stick to make sure all the holes are open.  Everything that I use to.  I might try the lump at Lowes and see how that works.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hmmm, I can only speculate. Fresh lump has some VOCs left over from the production. Some of those are very flammable, and burn hot. I suppose in some lump, once those are driven off, the lump will be harder to light because carbon itself takes a higher temperature to kindle. FWIW, the better the lump, the harder to light. A few years ago, some really good stuff was being shipped from Namibia to Canada that was reported to be about 90% carbon. Really hard to light, but burnt a looong time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mark0525‌
    Because you are a fellow Raider fan I'm going to solve your problem my friend. Acquire one of these and lighting your lump will never be a problem again. Once you try it you won't ever light your fire any other way.
    This far and away the best way to start your fire. Nothing else comes close.

imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Sometimes really dense lump will be harder to light, like Wicked, but I used Rockwood and it's pretty dense and lights really well.

I've moved to a looftlighter and used it for the first time the other evening, and it was so easy my wife actually did it instead of me. Two spots lit and flames in under 3 minutes, no lie. Pretty impressed with it.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    No original pearls of wisdom but wrt the dome-I leave it open (bottom vent full open ) for around 8-10 mins with any lump (including GFS) until around a softball to grapefruit sized quantity of lump is burning.  Then shut the dome and once passing 200*F on the thermo adjust the bottom vent and DFMT for the target temp.  Good luck as this is only a three piece puzzle-fuel, air-flow and ignition source.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments.  SGH where to you get one of those?  they look pretty dangerous...lol.

FATCITY, where do u get a looftlighter?

I went to Lowes and bought Frontier brand.  Worth a shot.  Never had this problem before.  Thanks again.
    Gooooooooo Raiders :)
  • Mark0525
    Options
    anybody know where you buy those torches?  Or the looftlighter that FATCITY was talking about?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Mark0525 said:
    anybody know where you buy those torches?  Or the looftlighter that FATCITY was talking about?

You can get a looftlighter at most Egg dealers.  Firecraft.com also has them for a pretty good price.

Many have had luck with a heat gun (http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC1500HG-1500-Watt-Heat-Gun/dp/B004Q04X44) which I think is essentially the same thing at about half the price.
    NOLA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Here's a link to the Bernzomatic Weed Torch: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403534757&sr=8-2&keywords=propane+torch+weed+burner . I like it because you have the whole shebang in one package - no external tank.  Free shipping w/Amazon Prime $38.  Map gas cylinders are about $10, and last me 4 months.  But that is only using it 4 times a week. YMMV.  Propane cylinders also work - not quite as many BTUs.  I'm including a picture for comparison with SGH's torch (also available on Amazon (Red Dragon or Hot Max).image
    Santa Paula, CA
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

another torch to use is the Harbor Frieght weed burner.  works great. I light with with one of the flint sparkers plumbers use.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    The nice thing about the Bernzomatic torch is that it has a built-in push-button lighter. Nothing else needed. It is long enuf that it keeps all body parts out of harms way. And you can use it to toast weeds.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I leave the dome open and the lower vent closed when starting. I think it helps getting the top of the lump to light without heating the ceramic too much.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    I had the same issue when I first got my egg.  I now use a charcoal chimney thing.  I preload some fresh coal and then clean out the used charcoal and load it to the top.  As for fire, I drizzle some vegetable oil on newspaper and light that under the chimney.  The chimney was about $10, the newspaper is free, and the oil is super cheap as well. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I use an electric lighter since my large has an outlet close by. Takes about 6-7 minutes. Then I close the dome and leave bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel off til I hit my desired temp. Hasnt failed me yet. I use a benzomatic torch for the small when an outlet isnt nearby.

Little Rock, AR

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I use looftlighter and never have an issue. I light 5 spots, NSEW and center. I can be up to 6 or 700 in 10-15 minutes. Depending on how you light the lump, smaller or larger pieces are easier or harder to light. I find smaller pieces are usually the ones left over. These light quick with the looftlighter, but smaller pieces make for worse airflow, which slows combustion.

Looftlighter is awesome! Great for supercharging a fire when going from low to high temp too, such as reverse sear technique, or when going from making apps to pizza.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mapp torch is the best. I light the lump and close the lid with top and bottom vents wide open.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I use an electric lighter since my large has an outlet close by. Takes about 6-7 minutes. Then I close the dome and leave bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel off til I hit my desired temp. Hasnt failed me yet. I use a benzomatic torch for the small when an outlet isnt nearby.
    Ditto, since getting the electric lighter, I use nothing but.  I stuff it under the lump, plug it in, walk into the kitchen, set the timer on the microwave for 7 minutes.  Start prepping food, when timer goes off, walk outside, unplug, set electric lighter on the concrete to cool.  Close the dome, make sure vents wide open, let it heat to about 300, then I usually put in the plate setter, and install the DigiQ and let it get settled in to my desired cook temp.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mark0525‌
    Sorry I just noticed that you asked where I got the weed burner from. It either came from Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure which because I buy a lot from both of them. But I'm sure that they both carry them. Again sorry for the delay.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    They have weed burners at most farm supply type stores, too (tractor supply and the like).

Little Rock, AR

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    The nice thing about the Bernzomatic torch is that it has a built-in push-button lighter. Nothing else needed. It is long enuf that it keeps all body parts out of harms way. And you can use it to toast weeds.

Another vote for the Bernzomatic torch. Regarding body parts, a "funny" thing happened to me on the weekend. Once in a while you get sparking during the light. An ember, too small to even see comes flying out of the egg, and lands between my big toe and the next one. I was wearing sandals. A short dance and a blister later, I was back to lighting. Lump and bare toes do not mix.
    Winnipeg, Canada