Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm addicted!!!

To canadian bacon. After we ate my first batch so fast, I had to start another one. Cut the loin in half and rubbed down with the cure. Then in tupperware container in frig for a week. Then poured off the liquid, turned the loin over, back in the frig for another week. Pulled it and rinsed it yesterday, then soaked for two hours. I patted dry and rubbed lightly with pineapple head and john henrys pecan rub. Smoked at 225 til IT of 140 then pulled and cooled. Slice and fry as needed. This batch wasn't as salty. Kids wanted pancakes for supper. Voila!!!

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Impressive brother! That's a winner for sure! =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Damn that looks good!
    NW IOWA
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    I love cooking Canadian Bacon, nothing like it!  Great looking meal you have there!  Well done! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• That looks awesome!!! Could you post the cure ingredients and process.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Very interesting!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • That looks awesome!!! Could you post the cure ingredients and process.

Its just Hi-mountain buckboard bacon cure. If you expand the top
    Picture in my post its sitting on my cutting board in a box. Each box has 3 packets of cure and eack pack will cure about 8lbs of meat. I had a 10lb loin, so I just cut a few pork chops off it til I had about an 8lb loin, then I cut it in half. Simply rubbed the meat all over with the cure and put in a plastic tupperware like container and put in frig for 7 days. Then pour off liquid and flip the meat and back in frig for 7 days. After that rinse loin, then soak in cold water 2 hours. Then pat dry, season (or not) lightly with rub and smoke indirect until IT is 140. Then pull and cool. At this time its finished being cured and smoked, but still needs to be cooked. I just slice it and fry it like bacon.

Sorry for the novel.

Little Rock, AR

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Charcuterie the crapf of curing, brining and smoking. This book tells you how to cure meat and gives you recipes. They use the wet curing method for pork loin, to make canadian bacon. You cure for 2 to 3 days instead of 2 weeks. I have been making bacon from pork belly.....good stuff.
  • @bill37‌
    I've just started dabbling in this stuff with the ready made cure. I've gotten good feedback from the wife, so I think I'm gonna order the book. Thanks man.

Little Rock, AR

• @bill37

Ok, I ordered the book.  It will be here Wednesday.  Any favorites that you would suggest to start off? 

Little Rock, AR

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Michael Ruhlman's book is a great reference for an egger. His smoked salmon cures, both for hot or cold smoking are terrific.
    Although it's been a while and before I has a BGE his sausage recipes are wonderful. His recommendations for commercially available rubs, mixes and so on are money.
    Not recommended for bed-time reading - your tummy will be rumbling and you'll be planning cooks all night!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Michael Ruhlman's book is a great reference for an egger. His smoked salmon cures, both for hot or cold smoking are terrific.
    Although it's been a while and before I has a BGE his sausage recipes are wonderful. His recommendations for commercially available rubs, mixes and so on are money.
    Not recommended for bed-time reading - your tummy will be rumbling and you'll be planning cooks all night!
    HDumptyEsq Really dumb question, but are you referring to his book titled simply 'Egg'?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very nice. I've been wanting to do Canadian bacon for years. Life gets in the way, get to busy to do it, push it back and then forget about it till somebody like you mentions it again. So now its back on my radar...unless I forget again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Bookmarked. Coming soon to an Egg near my patio!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Is Hi-Mountain your preferred brand?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SGH‌
    It's just the one that was recommended in the recipe I tried first. I ordered it from amazon. I honestly havent tried any others.

@Griffin‌
    It's really not very time consuming (hands-on, anyway). If you have room in frig, it reallt takes little time. Takes less than 10 minutes to prep the meat initially.

Little Rock, AR

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I so wish we could get Canadian Bacon here!

Steve 

Caledon, ON