Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table Question

I've been trolling the table forums since I joined and got my Large Egg looking at what everyone has built for inspiration for my own table.  I was geared up and all ready to build myself a table out of wood using the paver under the Table Nest for protection but with the recent posts of tables catching fire and the poor guy who had his house burn down I've been reconsidering and holding off on the build.  I like the stainless tables and carts that I see offered by various companies out there but I just can't really justify the price to myself and it doesn't work in the budget.  So I'm back to DIY because it will be cheaper and more in the budget and I want to build the table myself.  With using wood pretty much out of the question now what other materials would you guys consider?  I wanted the table on casters so it could be moved. 
Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA

Comments

• I made mine out of steel square tubing (legs) and angle iron (frame) and welded it up.  I'm no welder so it's not the prettiest of tables, but a grinder helps to clean things up and some paint.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    You could still make a wood table, but with a top of granite, poured concrete, etc.  
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Only Updykes buy wooden tables.  I agree with @RRP.  WDE
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2014
    Don't know.  I had a wooden table for about 11 years and if anyone could set sh*t on fire, it's me, so I have to think if you build your table right and exercise caution, the risk is neglible. My 2 cents. 

P.S. I managed to set off the CO detector in my house with a small charcoal fire just outside the garage door which was open.  The garage is semi-detached, BTW.  Don't tell the wife (yes, the wife who.....).  :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    @RRP, the table/egg set up will be going on a cement patio that is off of a wooden deck and near the house.  The patio will likely be 10x10 so it could be a little ways from the house and deck.  We're still working out the details of how the backyard will be shaping up but looking to get something in motion in the next week or so.  I'm thinking on leaning more and more towards your idea and I might build a custom storage cabinet with a prep surface instead.

@nealcr1, I like your reasoning and thinking there.  WDE!
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Just curious but, when you say the SS tables you've looked at are way $$$ how much are we talking about here?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Just curious but, when you say the SS tables you've looked at are way $$$ how much are we talking about here?
    Some of the really nice ones that I've seen at an Egg dealer were $1700. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    edited June 2014
    @The Naked Whiz‌ I have a wooden table as well. Just having some fun with a fellow Auburn buddy.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Consider starting with a restaurant grade table and getting a fabricator to adapt it for an Egg. Probably half of cost of a pre-made table.
    Kemah, TX
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Posted in agreement with @The Naked Whiz about the wood table, but for some reason had to be "approved."  Maybe because I quoted him?  Not sure....

Anyway, I have a wood table and you will be fine with a paver AND a table nest should you decide to go that route.  I have zero fear of fire, but I would say you need to make the diameter of the hole around the Egg larger than the minimum required.  A large is 21" minimum and mine is around 23" or a littler more.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• NPHuskerFL

Some of the really nice ones that I've seen at an Egg dealer were $1700. 

For a prefabricated SS BGE table that is fairly reasonable.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    jllbms said:

Consider starting with a restaurant grade table and getting a fabricator to adapt it for an Egg. Probably half of cost of a pre-made table.

This is very true but, it takes time, research, a fabricator you trust (measure 100x cut once it's SS not wood), and it unfortunately can be difficult to locate one that isn't beat to hell and back (restaurant tables take on a lot of use and abuse). FWIW $1,7K isn't that unreasonable for a well made SS table that's already setup for your size of egg.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • PoshPatios
    PoshPatios Posts: 41
    A wood table will work just fine and not catch fire as long as you take extra steps to fireproof it. Having a concrete or granite top helps. Also, setting the egg on a few ceramic tiles is easy and super cheap. We've been building wood tables for YEARS and have never had one catch fire. 
    What is this? A center for ants!?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2014
    It's not stainless, it's powder coated steel, and it's not overly expensive.
    It's already on a good set of caster's as well

Sole Gourmet Table for LBGE

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    RRP said:
    I am not poo-pooing the risk of fire, but I have to ask - what is the surface that your table will be resting on and what is the proximity to your home? I mean a metal table on a wooden deck would still mean some risk, while a wooden table on a cement patio is a whole another thing. Here's a another alternative. Leave your egg in a egg nest, equip it with the wings and then buy a metal table from SAMs or Costco to use for a working surface and storage.

RRP, I'm thinking doing this myself, but I have a question. Will the SS handle the heat of a hot plate setter or grate? I have a plastic table I am using now, but is our overflow table for when we have more then 12 guest over. I am also using a patio box to hold wood to smoke and other tools I need. I cant afford the outdoor kitchen I went right now. It works for now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    @Ladeback69‌ I have laid a hot PS, pizza stone, cooking grid both the CI and the SS grid etc on my SS table with no issues.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Thank You NPHuskerFL. Your nice guy for a Bronco Fan. :D  I may be getting one this weekend.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Zmokin said:
    It's not stainless, it's powder coated steel, and it's not overly expensive.
    It's already on a good set of caster's as well

Sole Gourmet Table for LBGE

I tried the Sole link and was told to buy one from Outdora. They quoted $1322 plus $250 shipping. That's a far cry from the $649 price on the link.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Found out The quoted price included egg.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Tspud1 said:
    Found out The quoted price included egg.
    That makes sense, as that is around what I paid for table & LBGE as a set with free delivery from a local dealer.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Use what material you desire most, but a wooden table with a green egg sitting on ceramic cleats providing air flow between a cement stone is safe.  cement stone doesn't even get hot. I even have an air flow between the stone and the wood table shelf for added safety and so water doesn't get trapped there. 
  • stevethegreat
    stevethegreat Posts: 247
    edited July 2014
    Here is probably a silly question, does anyone use any material (like broken firebricks) inside their egg on the "floor" to help absorb the heat from making the bottom as hot? I haven't read of anyone doing that, but maybe that's for a reason. @nolaegghead‌ care to impart some science?
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Where can we get recycled Space Shuttle tiles? :))  No really, what was that stuff and what else is it used for?
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Where can we get recycled Space Shuttle tiles? :))  No really, what was that stuff and what else is it used for?
    Asbestos? HaHaHa.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• actually kind of interesting, not just one tile, but a collection of different materials and tiles, depending on location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_thermal_protection_system

I did see that used nomex felt for the cargo bay doors, so if it's good enough for space travel it should be good enough for our egg's gaskets right? 
    :D
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I used fire brick instead of a paver to get a bit more protection. The air gap is very important. I also changed from the ceramic feet to a table nest to get a bigger air gap.

Has anyone use Hardie board (or other cement fiber board) for the decking? 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    All that works for the bottom, but my table caught fire on the side supports. I believe that the crack that happened at some point allowed sufficient heat to escape to light the wood.
    Kemah, TX
  • Drunkonmeat
    Drunkonmeat Posts: 44
    edited July 2014
    I used fire brick instead of a paver to get a bit more protection. The air gap is very important. I also changed from the ceramic feet to a table nest to get a bigger air gap.

Has anyone use Hardie board (or other cement fiber board) for the decking? 

I'm using 4 layers of Hardie board under egg and 1 layer on sides. Going to top Hardie with aluminum sheets. Belts and suspenders. And a table nest.