Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"That would make for a great post!"

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
We spent the past two days working at the house while packers and movers took all of our possessions to a warehouse for the next 5-6 months.  My in-laws graciously watched the kids for a week so we could get prepared for the move, so we came to Beeville to pick up the kids and have a nice relaxing weekend.  They still haven't purchased a egg, but they are going to babysit my small while we're at a temporary location.  My MIL requested brisket, so I figured I would tote my large up for the cook.  

Wife - "We're going take the large up?  Why don't you just do it on the small egg."

Me - "That would never fit! (thinks for a few seconds)  That would make for a great post!"

Here we go!  That entire time, I was telling myself:  This is stupid.  It will never fit.  This is going to be a disaster (still remains to be seen).

The set-up

The goods

@ 7 hours

Kinleigh came outside to tell me high and see what pops was up to.  :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Bravo! Good luck with all the moving stuff, try to stay calm and egg on!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Gotta love a good challenge. Will be looking forward to the results, looks good so far.

Helpers are great to have while egging. Hope all goes well with the relocation.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fat side up or down?

Looks good Cazzy.   I wanna see some cuts.
    Options
    I guess good things do come in "Small" packages ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options

Fat side up or down?

Always up for me!
  • DMW
    Options

cazzy said:
    Fat side up or down?

Always up for me!
    @cazzy I apologize if this gets someone turned off by this thread, but you set it up so well I couldn't resist.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @cazzy-Most eggcellent cook-I'm sure you can get the cook to hold temp for the duration but what a challenge!  And a thank-you as I now know that the local Costco prime price is in line with the Texas universe.  I am envious of anyone who can cook brisket on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.  I am happy with a once every 3-4 week license.  Enjoy and best of luck with the move-Gotta admit I have been in the same house for 16 years after moving 9 times in the prior 16. Go USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Great looking brisket on the mini. You rose to the challenge. Enjoy!!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Way to improvise my friend . That's a mighty fine little helper you have there. She is absolutely adorable. Good luck on the remainder of the cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    thats not a mini its a small.....
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That's the way to step up to the challenge. Adorable helper.
    Options
    I will admit that it wasn't my best effort, but for being cooked on the small, it was pretty damn good.  
    I think a 11#s will be a good target for a packer on a small.  

I love Texas Burnt Ends!   =P~

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌cazzy
    Looks like a home run to me my friend! =D> Enjoy!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good to me, caz! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Looks really good from here, nice job!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Nice caz! I always wondered if there was a v rack or something for for the small that you could drape it over that would allow you to get smoke and bark on both sides. Great cook though. Fun to see.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    He's alive
    Greensboro, NC
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Very creative set up  Nice cook...Only goes to prove the small has a big cooking heart
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DMW
    Options
    That looks great, only sacrifice I can see is the bark against the pan.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Looks Great!!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited June 2014
    Options
    cazzy Okay let me get this straight, you're moving, you're kids are at the in-laws and you take time to cook and post pics of your brisket cook,  and no less on a small. OKAY YOU WIN THE HARDCORE BBQ'er award.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • cazzy
    Options
    td66snrf said:

cazzy Okay let me get this straight, you're moving, you're kids are at the in-laws and you take time to cook and post pics of your brisket cook,  and no less on a small. OKAY YOU WIN THE HARDCORE BBQ'er award.

Lol...nah. I'm actually not as die hard as most on the board. The cook was easy and reward for the hard work that is now behind us. Plus, finally got to spend some time with the kiddos.

The next 6 months are going to suck though. I will be driving up to Houston or we'll meet in Beeville till I find employment. There is light at the end of the tunnel though so it could be worse.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job Cazzy! I'd say that qualifies as a "Challenge met". :-bd
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

Nice job Cazzy! I'd say that qualifies as a "Challenge met". :-bd

It wasn't too bad...your attempt definitely looked better.

I did check your thread to remind myself how you set up your egg. 13# packer was definitely pushing it. A lil too long for sure.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Nice roller coaster brisket caz!  Dang, we pay that money for ground chuck!
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =D> Nicely done, Sir!! Good luck with getting all settled in at your new place. and with the new opportunities life has thorwn your way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings