Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Try At Cast Iron Seared Chicken

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Started with a 4.5# whole young chicken, rinsed, dried, dusted with salt and pepper, and put in the beer fridge to air dry for about 6 hours or so. Pulled it out to allow to come to room temperature while starting the eggs. 

Got the Xl rolling at 500 degrees with some hickory chips, and placed the CI skillet in to preheat. Once it had preheated for an hour, I added the chicken, which had a couple of lemon wedges stuffed up its youknowwhat. 

Put some chunked sweet potatoes coated with olive oil and S&P on the LBGE at 400 degrees. After 30 minutes added some large scallions, garlic, and capers to the skillet. When the taters were done I replaced them with some asparagus.

Pulled the chicken to rest while mashing the potatoes with just some butter and salt.

Very moist and tasty, skin was nice and crispy, and yes, I stupidly put the bird in the skillet breast down.
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments