Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice needed: How to cook fresh corn and crab cakes

Options
What temp is recommended?  How long do I cook cakes and corn?  Direct heat I assume, but do I raise grid or not?  Do I add butter to corn prior to cook?

Excited to mix the season's first sweet corn with USA soccer!

TIA.

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I have cooked corn a couple of times. I have cut the end off and partially shuck, soak in water about an hour. You can then cook direct at regular or raised. Turning more often if not raised.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I like the crab cakes on CI skillet at about 375℉ direct and the corn on the cob same temp. But, I'll usually soak them in water for about an hour or at least get them good & saturated before going on the egg (if already husked I'll put all of them into foil with 6-10 ice cubes and seal it up and toss on the egg with same temp & setup).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Cook the corn with the husk on at 350 or so for 30 minutes (works in the oven this way too) makes them really easy to clean. If you want to do the car cakes on the egg, I would use cast iron skillet or griddle. Hope it goes well for you.
    Greensboro, NC
  • gooddogjudge
    gooddogjudge Posts: 106
    Options
    so is consensus to soak corn (still in husk) for no more than 1 hour?

And proud that my Clemson Tigers defeated each of bulldogs, huskers and pack in respective last meetings!

Thanks folks!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    You can soak them all day doesn't make much of a difference. Basically your just trying to hydrate the cob so it doesn't dry out and it gives sort of a steaming effect.
    And I respectfully agree to disagree on Huskers VS Tigers and to set the record straight our last meeting was in 09 and y'all were defeated. However, you did beat us in 1982. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    Husker,

How could I forget?  I was there, too!

And I had enjoyed my opportunity a few days prior to the game to hear Osborne speak at an FCA breakfast (Pelini was absent due to death of father or some family deal, I think).  Osborne was awesome...I can't stand Pelini, so it was a great break for me!

I have a tendency to ignore the losses and focus on the wins.  And our win in 82 was rather important!

Thanks for correcting me.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I don't soak corn. Right on the Egg in the husk at 350 direct for 20-30 minutes. Then, cut the fat end (away from the silk), squeeze and the corn comes out of the husk clean, witness no silk on it. +1 on CI for the crab cakes.
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Here is a corn recipe that I've used with great results:
    6 ears sweet corn, husked
    4 tablespoons butter (½ stick)
    1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
    ½ teaspoon Ancho chili powder
    Juice from ½ lime
    Pinch black pepper

Set up your grill for a direct cook at 450°F.

1. Put everything but the corn in a disposable aluminum pan
    2. Put the pan on the grill (without the corn) and heat until the butter is melted. Combine all ingredients and remove from heat.
    3. Grill the corn directly on the grate, turning about ¼ turn a minute until the kernels are a deep yellow and have started to lightly blackened (about 5 minutes).
    4. Move ears to basting pan and rotate to coat.
    5. Return to the grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, turning often.
    6. Remove to the basting pan, rotate again to coat, and then move the pan full of corn to the grill.
    7. Let it sit on the grate until everything starts to bubble, about a minute.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'd go with NP because that's how I have cooked it twice and it's perfect both times.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    so is consensus to soak corn (still in husk) for no more than 1 hour?

And proud that my Clemson Tigers defeated each of bulldogs, huskers and pack in respective last meetings!

Thanks folks!

Not a very select group in our case- not sure beating a team that didn't win an ACC game is much of an accomplishment.
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @gooddogjudge‌ I'm a Dr. Osbourne fan and yes I'm a supporter of Bo. He's a very animated coach and at times vocal but, he loves our boys and the program. I think he brings a fire to the game and his record although not a top 1-5 is still impressive. I think you'll see the Huskers be a serious contender within the next few years. People forget it took Dr. Tom Osbourne close to his entire career to get the thr Huskers to a team that simply crushed their opponents. It doesn't happen by accident nor without support of fans and alumni. Like I said I support Bo and our team. Sorry to go OT :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ soak or no soak the corn is awesome on the egg.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    gooddogjudge said:so is consensus to soak corn (still in husk) for no more than 1 hour?
    Thanks folks!
    Not a very select group in our case- not sure beating a team that didn't win an ACC game is much of an accomplishment.

You're right.  It did not register on the "accomplishment" scale, but a loss would have been horrific.  Therefore, I'm proud my team won!