Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - sous vide turkey confit (in herbs and duck fat) and turkey breast log (AJ and milk injected)

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,512
edited June 2014 in Poultry
my posts are getting censored lately ... going to start with just post title, then edit/expand in baby steps, here we go ...

Recipe from MCAH, confit @ 140F/24h, breast @ 135F/3h.   

breasts tightly wrapped in Saran, chilled in freezer to firm up, then vac sealed:

lot of work to remove tendons/muscles in drum stick but it was so worth it:

served with simple salad, fried plantain and fried rice:

canuckland

Comments

• Canugghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ah ha, it worked. divide and conquer!  forum wouldn't let me post the above when I composed everything in a single attempt.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  I was wondering when someone was going to post s SV confit.
    Options
    Seeing the bag, I'm supposing you SV'd the leg quarters?
  • Canugghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    dang, my replies with two photos just got censored again, ok, it's time to divide and conquer again!

edit 1, reply to @nolaegghead:
    Thanks, actually I did sv duck confit a while back, the recipe was WAY too salty, this recipe calls for less salt and I cut it down even further, came out just right, we're not big salt fans. This could be my favourite go-to way to do turkey ... portion control, temp control, multiple serving times, what's not to like! Just ate a slice of leftover breast, tasted even better than last night!

edit 2, reply to @gdenby:
    Both were sv ...

edit 3, next photo...

canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great stuff! Can you post some more details about the recipe/process for confit? Did you pan sear or flame them before serving?

And what brand of vac bags do you use?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking - I flamed the breast with butane torch.  For the leg quarter, I started pan searing it with 1/4" of oil in a hot pan but it was taking too long because of its contour, so I finished searing with the flame as well, the leg was shredded anyway so searing wasn't really important.   I normally use FS vac bags (stocked up tons of it when they were on sale at Costco), for this cook I used some old Kenmore brand bags from Sears.  In hind sight, with the money spent on expensive vac bags I should have bought a chamber sealer like LS'. I'm also sending you some other info by PM.
    canuckland
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Did you cook with the breasts still wrapped in serran?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Canugghead
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Did you cook with the breasts still wrapped in serran?
    good observation, yes, with the saran and vac bag over it.  I could have removed the saran after chilling the log but didn't bother, I figure at 135F it's no big deal ... I think in commercial kitchen saran is sometimes used even in oven?
    canuckland